Chock Screws Backing Out

Aug 21, 2019
Catalina 315 18 Grosse Pointe Park, MI
After having my boat hauled out I notice that some of the screws that hold the chocks to the deck have backed out. Has anyone seen this issue before?

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
I'm not familiar with the C315, but my C310 doesn't have chocks, which I like. I have seen too many dock lines chafe through on boats with chocks. I'm guessing your cleats/chocks are through bolted. There are threads on this forum concerning the mount bolts on the stanchions that might pertain to your situation.

Aug 21, 2019
Catalina 315 18 Grosse Pointe Park, MI
I think the chocks are factory installed, but not totally certain.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Do those sheaves spin? If the screw is rusted to the sheave, it's possible that a dock line might be turning the screw out. Just a theory

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Interesting setup. Chocks that don't chafe! It looks like that screw backed out to the point that the roller has moved. If so, then the screw is threaded into the rail the chock sits on. As suggested, some loctite would be a good idea when the screw is tightened up.

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
Implications from the website for replacement sheaves seem to imply that the bolts go into the toe rail to act as rollers and are not thru bolted. They suggest using marlon to prevent the threads seizing, it's a stainless bolt into Al. Wonder if lock-tite would prevent seizing also ? .
Go to Catalina Direct and search "rope chock", should be helpful to you.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Implications from the website for replacement sheaves seem to imply that the bolts go into the toe rail to act as rollers and are not thru bolted. They suggest using marlon to prevent the threads seizing, it's a stainless bolt into Al. Wonder if lock-tite would prevent seizing also ? .
Go to Catalina Direct and search "rope chock", should be helpful to you.
According to loktite it does, or at least certain flavors of their product do. I'm still skeptical :huh: