CHI-MAC today

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
best of the great lakes. wind, waves, fresh water, sun burn, biting black flys, blue berry pancakes, ....... it's got it all.

starts today

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Sounds like fun... except: sun burn and biting black flys

A second serving of wind, waves, fresh water and blue berry pancakes,
PLEASE! SIR, may I have some more?
1690038879446.png

Oct 22, 2014
WOW... The boat out in the lake is doing 6kts while the boats closer to shore are doing 8+

Oct 22, 2014
Windy shows a stronger wind field closer in to shore. Maybe that is the difference. Going to be an interesting night. The winds are forecast to remain in the 7-8 knot range with gusts to to 15 for part of the night.

Fly All the canvas Captain.

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
We had a light-air night one time. Other watch wrapped the spinnaker around the forestay about 15x. Took me about 30 minutes to get it cleared up & filling again.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
best of the great lakes. wind, waves, fresh water, sun burn, biting black flys, blue berry pancakes, ....... it's got it all.

starts today
Let me correct you, COLD fresh water....... help return a boat back from the island to Port Huron, thunder storms, cold biting wind, and all the other neat things you mention....

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
Sunday morning, soft winds, bright sun, ........ good time to have the cook make pancakes with michigan blueberries and wisconsin syrup.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Jon, where are you following this?
I might have added to your list of conditions - wicked thunder storms. I lived in the mid-west for a number of years and I can attest that the level of these storms is several levels above what we had in the East.

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
the largest thunder storms in the world are on the great plains of N. America
We saw one coming and took our sails down. First, it dropped about a half inch of hail on deck. Thirty seconds later the hail got blown off and we were doing 8 knots under bare poles with the anemometer showing 50 knots.

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
I raced on Fishtales (Shock 55). The start was sleet and high winds. Our competition popped up on plane and were doing 22knots for several hours. We sailed from cell to cell: downwind approaching, sailed West around the cell, switching to upwind cells as the local breeze changed course until going back downwind as we exited. Light winds caught out much of the fleet at the Manitou's and Beaver Island. Gains could be had going outside, which is rare as it is more distance sailed.