Chesapeke storage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Scott

My family and I are thinking of sailing the chesapeke for the summer and then laying the boat up there for the winter does anyone have any tips/ thoughts on boatyards and rough prices? Thanks, Scott

M

Mark Roskin

Good boatyard

Herrington Harbour North has a very good boatyard with a good assortment of service companies available. Haul, power wash and launch is about $8.5/ft, storage is around $2.75/ft/month. Their number is 410-867-4343 and they are located around 20nm south of Annapolis. Tidewater (Hunter dealer) in Havre de Grace (northern part of the bay) is also pretty good. Don't have prices for them but they will be less expensive than above. Enjoy your cruise - the Chesapeake is a wonderful cruising area.

C

Carl Reitz

Come early

The Bay is one of the best crusing grounds in the world: an ideal place to spend the sailing season. Our favorite time is from Memorial Day until mid-June. If you come down, try to get here by mid-May to take best advantage of the season. Many fine boat yards. Get in touch with Chesapeake Bay Magazine, they publish a couple of Best of the Bay lists. Agree with Mark Roskin that Tidewater would be good. It is also as close to NH as you will find. You might also check Rock Hall and Tolchester areas, as they are fairly far north. Further South in the Bay we pay $63/ft for the season to dock; $21/ft for winter haul and layup.

B

Bob Greenfield

Georgetown Yacht Basin

I am entering my second season at the Georgetown Yacht Basin. I have a 29.5 Hunter and paid only $1890 for the season. This includes water and eletric (20amp). I am very happy with their service and security has not been a problem. The only drawback is that you have to use the iron jenney a lot when getting to the bay (about 9 miles from the marina).

G

George Dibble

Storage locations

Don't overlook the Solomons. Great sailing area, a number of marinas in different price ranges and a boatyzrd at reasonable prices.

S

Scott

thanks

Thanks for the great replies... We are probably going to head that way in June after school lets out and haul the boat down there this season. I am also interested in being close enough to catch some kind of transportation to an airport... When I have to head off to work...Thanks again, Scott

J

John F

Marinas Chesapeak Bay

We have been sailing the Bay for 23 years and have found the middle region to offer the most and be the most convenient. We are in Rock Hall which is about 1 hr 45 min from Phila Pa and about 100 mi. Overnight anchorages are within 2 to 4 hrs sail to the north, south, west and are abundant in number. Havre de Grace is a shorter drive, but is about an hour run out to the Bay with not too many overnight options. The same for Georgetown on the Sasafrass R The Southern Bay is less congested with many marinas close to the Bay, but most destinations are a long sail. In the mid bay region, the eastern shore is cheaper than the Annapolis area. We pay $2450 for a 40ft slip from April to Nov and about $1000 for a winter haul out, storage, stands and launch in the spring.

G

Garrett Pensell

Tidewater has free shuttle service

Scott- At the risk of invading the no-advertising policy, I wanted to let you know that we (Tidewater) offer a free courtesy shuttle. You may find this a real plus in getting to/from the airport. Many owners use it to help move the boat from their summer marina up to us for the winter storage. Hope we see you sometime

B

Bob Young

Southern Chesapeake Bay Marinas/Boatyards

I just couldn't resist responding since most of the responses were from areas further north in the Bay. The area around Stingray Point, Middle Peninsula, is a great cruising area and one of the widest parts of the Bay. Has a large number of rivers and creeks to explore and anchor out. Also has a large number of excellent small marinas and great boatyards. Norton's Yachts is the Hunter dealer (with absolutely great staff and mechanics) and can give you lots of advice on where to cruise as well as provide advice on repairs and storage (take a look at their website). This area is not conjested (primarily sailboats and small fishing boars) and is within easy cruising distance of the eastern shore (about 3 hours). Also, about equal distance from Annapolis and Hampton Roads (great cruising destinations. There are a number of yacht clubs in the area with members who would be happy to have you cruise with them (I am the Treasurer of the Stingray Harbour Yacht Club of about 100 members and would be happy to send you more information.) Major airports are within an hour's drive in either Richmond or Norfolk areas. Also, closeby are land destinations like Williamsburg, Bush Gardens, Norfolk Shipyards, Yorktown, Richmond, Kings Dominion, Washington, etc. I know you will enjoy the Bay and the summer cruising it.

Status
Not open for further replies.