cherubini lost

blunt

Jul 27, 2015
1980 hunter 33 Corpus christi
well hurricane hanna claimed our hunter 33 yesterday.i understand she was de masted first and then sunk.we had her about 50% restored.we had her in a private marina and the tidal surge plus the wind was no match.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Tough to lose something that you've put lots of work into.. Sorry to hear.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Yeah, that's a shame. My sympathies. Clean up, learn what you can and move on. It's the only direction to go.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
So sorry to hear of your loss. Know what you're going through as my 33.5 was totaled in Katrina. Take your time and sort things out.
Hopefully you are good on the home situation and job. For me, I hit the trifecta; took about 1and 1/2 years to get back together. I chartered for a few years and finally the boat bug got me again! Good luck with the recovery.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Sorry to hear. Tough way to loose a boat. Recover soon!

dj

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
That is awful. It must hurt terribly. A friend of mine told me long that there is always another boat. My daughter just took possession of a 1984 H 37C, Cherubini design. It handles marvelously..

Aug 28, 2006
Bavaria 35E seattle
Well, that just sucks. I feel terrible for you. Good luck with everything moving forward.

Jun 8, 2004
C&C Frigate 36 St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia
I feel for you - lost my Cherubini in a hurricane last September. I hope your insurance comes good for it and that you find an other boat to enjoy.

blunt

Jul 27, 2015
1980 hunter 33 Corpus christi
thank you everyone for your kind words.the admiral is taking harder than me and we are thinking about our next sailboat.we are going to take our time looking and waiting to see if they are going to rebuild the marina again.until then i guess the honey do list is going to grow a little longer now.

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
So tough! Loss of a great boat, and of the significant time you invested. Grieving is in order!

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
I never think of boats as living objects and never mourn over them as they are replaceble. It is what sailing represents to me that I value. Yes, we put work and personal touches into them but that is part of the enjoyment. Being in Florida the prospect of loosing a boat in Hurricane season is always present. The time to come up with a plan that will provide to keep one sailing is before there are any storms in the horizon. Whether it be prearrenging a haulout, looking for adequate and accecible hurricane holes, assesing the capabilities of nearby marinas or relying mostly on a premium insurance coverage or a combination of. The plan should be in place now and ready to be excuted within hours. As part of that plan keep your eye on the boats market and possible replacements in short order.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
I never think of boats as living objects and never mourn over them as they are replaceble.
Being in Florida the prospect of loosing a boat in Hurricane season is always present. As part of that plan keep your eye on the boats market and possible replacements in short order.
Did you ever lose one?
If / when you do have that misfortune, you will be bummed out & go through some sort grieving process, especially if your home is flooded, and out of work for a period of time. Even with full insurance coverage it takes lots of time & effort, and $ to put it all back together.
I certainly don’t have time in my life to be planning for replacement of my boat due to some event that may never happen. Too busy with work, boat projects, house projects, and yes, sailing.

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
Did you ever lose one?
If / when you do have that misfortune, you will be bummed out & go through some sort grieving process, especially if your home is flooded, and out of work for a period of time. Even with full insurance coverage it takes lots of time & effort, and $ to put it all back together.
I certainly don’t have time in my life to be planning for replacement of my boat due to some event that may never happen. Too busy with work, boat projects, house projects, and yes, sailing.
In similar vein we lost a family home in the California fires late 2017. Never thought that would happen and never thought about a replacement. How, for instance, does one replace the family bible dated from 1700?

Oct 6, 2007
Hunter H30 1982 Chicago IL
I never think of boats as living objects and never mourn over them as they are replaceble. It is what sailing represents to me that I value. Yes, we put work and personal touches into them but that is part of the enjoyment. Being in Florida the prospect of loosing a boat in Hurricane season is always present. The time to come up with a plan that will provide to keep one sailing is before there are any storms in the horizon. Whether it be prearrenging a haulout, looking for adequate and accecible hurricane holes, assesing the capabilities of nearby marinas or relying mostly on a premium insurance coverage or a combination of. The plan should be in place now and ready to be excuted within hours. As part of that plan keep your eye on the boats market and possible replacements in short order.
All perfectly rational, and no doubt good advice, but I would still be just sick if I lost my boat, so I feel a great deal of empathy for the OP. I think that if it ever happened to me, I might not let myself become quite as emotionally invested in the next boat. You’ve adapted well to a situation where the risk of loosing a boat is much higher than what I am used to here in the Great Lakes. As a childhood Star Trek fan, I have to say your well intentioned answer did bring to mind a certain character I remember fondly.

6A9AD025-5078-48A7-9231-A7C5C99A39A9.jpeg

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
we are thinking about our next sailboat.we are going to take our time looking and waiting to see if they are going to rebuild the marina again.
Yes, finding a marina is a big concern. There were many marinas around this area that were destroyed. The marina that I am presently located is approximately 1/3 of its original capacity. The main marina in New Orleans is just about completed after 15 years! Marinas in MS took about 4 to 5 years to rebuild.. Of course, lots of boats were destroyed also, so fewer boats to fill the marinas. So yes, you’ve got to find a home for a new boat before finding a boat. How did the city marina at Corpus do? Was there much damage to the physical marina and was there extensive damage and loss to boats? When I visited there, it was a beautiful facility; however, very exposed to the Gulf.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter Slidell, LA
well hurricane hanna claimed our hunter 33 yesterday.i understand she was de masted first and then sunk.we had her about 50% restored.we had her in a private marina and the tidal surge plus the wind was no match.
Guy across the bayou from me bought one 4 years ago. Never left the dock. It took it on trade.