Cherubini Hunter 36 rudder attachment

Alctel

Dec 13, 2013
Hunter 36 Victoria
Hi there,

So on my 36, the rudder comes up through a fiberglass tube, through the stuffing box/quadrant, then through a bearing mounted on some plywood and then in a hole at the top of the stern

My question is, is there a bearing missing from the top where it enters the top of the stern? On mine, it just goes into a hole but it seems there may be a bearing missing there?

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
I'll start the response questions.
1. What year is your 36?
2. Any pics of the rudder post?
My 79 H30C is as you describe and there is no bearing at the top.

Jun 8, 2004
C&C Frigate 36 St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia
On the Hunter 37 Cutter, which probably has a similar sized rudder and similar forces on it, the set up is almost the same as the diagram posted on the gudgeonblog link you posted, except that the "plywood floor" is actually a shelf glassed into the hull about a foot higher than the cockpit sole and it has a nylon or Delrin 'bearing' bolted to the shelf undernieth what is labelled as the "shaft collar" in the blog diagram. My rudder shaft extends up to hole in the combing at the top of the transom - this is where the emergency tiller mounts.

Jun 21, 2007
Hunter Cherubini 36_80-82 Sausalito / San Francisco Bay
Alctel:

Here are pictures of my 1980 Hunter Cherubini 36 rudder post fittings. Just like on the "Gudgeon" web page. To the best of my recollection, for my boat, the top of the post pipe does not insert into anything. But I will double-check the next time I am at the boat. Probably tomorrow or Sunday.

Attachments