Chemical Strippers

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

R. Paquin

I am contemplating totally redoing the bottom of my '78 hunter 27 and wondered if anyone has used Peel Away or anything like that? I am a little leery but after the paint literally fell off the keel when I hosed the boat down this spring, I'm thinking it may be time. I am worried that in the early 80's according to the past owner, they did some blister repair using epoxy. Will the peel away affect that old epoxy? The hull is smooth and the bottom paint is well stuck except for the keel. the paint is quite thick (I don't think its been stripped in oh.. well over 15 years.)so sanding/scraping would be a long tedious process. suggestions/past experience appreciated! thanks RP

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Just re-do the keel.

Never heard anything bad about Peel-away (if properly applied). If you have a good bottom, then why mess with it. As far as the keel is concerned. I would either sand blast it or just sand it down to a shiny surface and use a barrier coat and primer to protect it. You can also power wash the bottom. I should remove any marginal paint. You can just touch up the rough edges with sand paper and you'll be ready. Then you can just paint the keel and the bottom again. I think that interlux has some info on redoing the keel.

Status
Not open for further replies.