Check your through hulls!

May 23, 2007
Catalina Capri 22 Albany, Oregon
On our recent trip to the San Juans we had a bit of a leak forward. It wasn't enough to end the trip early, but it was enough to cause me some new gray hairs.

Turns out that whatever was used to bed the paddlewheel through hull is failing. First clue we had water coming in was on the first day of the trip. We'd been in the water for about 36 hours when the Admiral said there was water in the v-berth footwell. I wrote it off as condensation from the cooler, wiped it up and put it from my mind.

Second day, when we got to Deer Harbor, it became obvious that something was wrong. There was a LOT of water in the footwell and a quick taste let me know it was salt, not fresh water. Pretty sure it was getting into the cabin via the hole I'd drilled through the starboard bulkhead for the battery wires. Mixed blessing I suppose, as I'd not have had a clue until the water came up around the keel bolt cover in the main cabin.

I dug everything out of the v-berth and found about a gallon of water in the locker. I cleaned it up but more was coming in. It took me a while, but I finally figured out it was coming in around the outside of the the through hull. Luckily one of the guys we were cruising with had some Marine-tex along so I was able to patch things up and slow the leak to about a cup a day.

Still trying to decide what I want to do. I'm leaning toward ripping both through hulls out and glassing things in up there. That's a lot of work, though, so I'm not positive.

Sep 30, 2009
Catalina Capri 22 (loved my old C-22) NorCal
The single greatest upgrade I realized when I sold my Catalina 22 and bought the Capri last year... No thru hulls!!!

I say glass them up, especially if they are only for speed and depth. You can replace them with tranducers that don't require holes in your boat.

Oh, I guess the Capri is a little faster than the C-22, too! :)

May 23, 2007
Catalina Capri 22 Albany, Oregon
Capri 22 Tall Rig is definitely faster than the Catalina 22 and will beat a Capri 22 standard rig under the right conditions. :)

shnool

Aug 10, 2012
WD Schock Wavelength 24 Wallenpaupack
I dunno... I hear that there are SOME Cat 22s that when the wind pipes up, do PRETTY well in PHRF racing though... heheheh..
I was bested by one of our Cat 22 sailors last weekend (corrected time - but he IS an excellent sailor)... but towards the end of the race winds were gusting over 20mph, and we had the 155 up and full main... I looked over as we were overtaking the Cat 22, I SWEAR he had NO wind in his sails and he was still trucking along at 5.9+ knots! Those guys rode that boat for ALL it was worth... I've personally never sailed for so long at above 6 knots (close reach up, beam to broad reach back, 2 lap course).

Overall they placed 3rd... an Oday 26 beat them to 2nd, and an S2 7.9 (sailed flawlessly) won the race (he's the guy we're gunning for).

Physically we were 4th across the finish, ahead of both the Cat 22, and Oday 26 (even though they started 10 minutes before us). But ANY boat, properly sailed, and with the winds that boat loves can be sailed well (and to it's rating).

NO QUESTION the Capri 22, will be physically faster than the Cat 22... But sail it well, or you'll have your head handed to you like we did!

By the way, we beat, (2) J/24s, (1) S2, and (1) J/22 in placements... and were only a couple seconds behind the J/22 in physical time (and ahead of one J/24 physical time).

Yeah I know put it in the racing threads...

HERSH

Nov 21, 2012
Catalina Capri 22 http://www.chelseayacht.org
"(close reach up, beam to broad reach back, 2 lap course)." This is where PHRF ToD falls apart. Your PHRF number is based on a windward-leeward course. Figuring a 45 degree tack angle to the windward mark. When the course is set such that there is no tacking, the distance sailed over the water is reduced by ~~ 20%. Advantage the slower boats, ( or higher PHRF # boats) as they were given time based on a longer course.

Under ideal conditions, boats should be within 20/secs/mile with their PHRF ratings. I know, not enough boats racing to split the fleets. As long as everybody is happy, keep doing what you are doing .....

Hershey

shnool

Aug 10, 2012
Hersh, we actually use Portsmouth. It's actually VERY good for what we do... but falls apart when the wind goes to ZERO.

HERSH

Nov 21, 2012
Catalina Capri 22 http://www.chelseayacht.org
Yes, Portsmouth or PHRF Time on Time both fall apart when the wind dies. I personally like Portsmouth.

From what I have seen here --- on the Hudson River where most of the time we are beating against the current. The wind gradually slows down, to the point where the faster rated boats continue making headway and the slower boats stall or go backwards. Should the wind pick up the faster boats already have amassed a huge lead ...

No perfect system.

Even one design -- where some by big buck sails and others have rags on their boats.

but it is just an excuse to get out an sailing -- so that is what I like.

hersh

shnool

Aug 10, 2012
Sorry to continue with the racing stuff, but HERSH brought it up!

I like the "plan" they instituted in the Capri 25 OD class.
In an effort to make racing in the Capri 25 One Design Class affordable each yacht in the fleet is allotted one brand new sail per racing season. A brand new sail is a sail that has been measured, approved and used within that racing season. Any new boats to the fleet will be allowed five new sails total for the first two years; after two years that boat shall be allowed one brand new sail per racing season.

The Racing Committee reserves the right to ban prohibitively expensive sails or sail materials. A ban will be considered if a complete sail is double the cost of a similar sized cross-cut cruising dacron sail from the same manufacturer.
Pretty good way to keep the OD guys from spending $10k on a new main and mopping up. The OD rules seem pretty straight forward.