Check Your Chain Plates

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Hi All,

This photo was sent to me by a friend yesterday. The story is they were tuning the rig when it failed. I think they were very, very lucky it happened then, not when sailing

If anyone know a source for replacements or the OEM supplier to Ericson of these chain plates any help on a source would be appreciated..

Spring is a good time to check your chain plates..

John

Jun 3, 2006
Catalina 36mkII Alameda CA
How would one go about checking for something like that? Are there any surface tell-tale signs or would you have to x-ray it or is it just a matter of replacing them every so often?

Feb 6, 1998
For many

For many chain plates they actually need to be removed for inspection and rubbed with a dye to check for any cracks.

The one in the photo would have been tough to see I'd think even with dye because it cracked right at the shoulder..

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
For any material that is either notch sensitive or subject to stress corrosion cracking that design is subject to concern. Forming the shoulder can cause a crevasse at the shoulder that may take years to fail. I like a design that uses plates for chain plates. With multiple bolts, spread over a wide surface sudden failure of the complete system is not likely. It is still difficult to inspect without disassembly.

Jan 10, 2009
PDQ 32 Deale, MD
That would be a tough one.

I do NDE testing as part of my living, and both x-ray and dye would be tough. Testers hate sharp corners, because they are hard to inspect and failure prone.

Why would he not consider going up a size with a u-bolt and skipping the shoulder, though what he has looks "neat?"

Feb 6, 1998
These ..

I don't believe the Ericson chain plates are simple post formed stainless bar stock. They certainly appear to me from the photo to be forged, then machined, which should make them stronger than a basic mandrel bent u-bolt. The other problem is they are not U shaped but rather flat on top to accept the toggle. Because of this any bends would need to be 90 degrees which could significantly weaken the bar stock. A continuously curved U is probably a lot stronger than a flat bottomed U after being bent..

One of the guys on the Ericson forums seems to think these were supplied to Ericson by Navtec. I will relay back what ever supplier / source info I can find. If you guys know who originally made these please let me know..

Forging new ones is probably out of the question unless you could find the original dies..:confused:

Jul 20, 2005
Whitby 55 Kemah, Tx
And they say Hunters are weak....my chain plate bolts are 1 1/2" each and the nuts are so big I couldn't find a wrench big enough so I had to use a pipe wrench.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
And they say Hunters are weak....my chain plate bolts are 1 1/2" each and the nuts are so big I couldn't find a wrench big enough so I had to use a pipe wrench.
What are they attached to?

Nov 22, 2008
Endeavour 32 Portland, Maine
One of the guys on the Ericson forums seems to think these were supplied to Ericson by Navtec.
Those have a very Navtec look about them; especially the bent toggle plates. The design strikes me as dumb. There are so many things wrong with that forged shoulder I won't even start.

If this were my boat, aside from the lateness of the refit season, I would design a new plate fitting and have the amazingly good welder on my wharf built replacements. This would require shortening the stays and swaging new ends on but that's not a bad thing to do anyway. The new ones might not be as neat looking but I would sail with more peace of mind.

Pulling my chainplates will definitely be on the list for next season.

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
How often would you recommend checking your chain plates? I would have thought you'd pull them when you see evidence of leaks.

Oct 22, 2008
- Telstar 28 Buzzards Bay
This is one reason I prefer stainless steel chain plates made from flat bar stock... finding replacements is very simple. Getting a replacement for a custom machined/forged u-bolt is going to be a gold-plated B****.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
How often would you recommend checking your chain plates? I would have thought you'd pull them when you see evidence of leaks.
Bob, it's like reefing. Most all of the Association websites have good chainplate replacement projects documented (here's ours: http://www.c34.org/wiki/index.php?title=Inspecting_and_Re-bedding_Chainplates) and they all recommend: do NOT caulk the inside! Then you can see if they are leaking.

Dawg - I think a lot of people with older boats think they need to find OEM parts, which gets difficult, if not impossible, for boat builders who are out of business, save, for instance Pearson where I understand there is a great business supporting parts for the boats. Good Old Boat magazine has made a nice business of documenting skipper's work supporting the theory that new parts can be fabricated for replacement that may be even better than OEM. It doesn't appear from his photo that that particular part would be difficult to replace with assistance from a good shop, and maybe even improved upon if flat stock could be employed.

The failure picture brings a new meaning to crevice corrosion! :doh:

Jan 10, 2009
PDQ 32 Deale, MD
All true, and I know that the Stilettos that use u-bolts are prone to similare failure....

I don't believe the Ericson chain plates are simple post formed stainless bar stock. They certainly appear to me from the photo to be forged, then machined, which should make them stronger than a basic mandrel bent u-bolt. The other problem is they are not U shaped but rather flat on top to accept the toggle. Because of this any bends would need to be 90 degrees which could significantly weaken the bar stock. A continuously curved U is probably a lot stronger than a flat bottomed U after being bent..

One of the guys on the Ericson forums seems to think these were supplied to Ericson by Navtec. I will relay back what ever supplier / source info I can find. If you guys know who originally made these please let me know..

Forging new ones is probably out of the question unless you could find the original dies..:confused:
Which leads owners to go up one size.

However, I wonder if replacing the toggle with a lashing would spread the load and eliminate the cracking issue. Wish I had thought of it when I still had my Stiletto!

This might be a good application for a high-tech lashing, if the correct fitting is not available.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Re: All true, and I know that the Stilettos that use u-bolts are prone to similare failure....

I wonder if the load was in line with the axis of the U-bolt? An off center load would concentrate the stress off center. One of the causes of bolt failure is non-parallel surfaces under the head and the nut.

Jan 10, 2009
PDQ 32 Deale, MD
You got it!! The deck is crowned outward.

I wonder if the load was in line with the axis of the U-bolt? An off center load would concentrate the stress off center. One of the causes of bolt failure is non-parallel surfaces under the head and the nut.
Up a size works. It needs to be far larger than called for, like triple. I went to 3/8" for the shrouds of a 1300# cat. 5/16" cracked. Cheap, still.

RichH

Feb 14, 2005
Tayana 37 cutter; I20/M20 SCOWS Worton Creek, MD
Maine,
Any chainplate that fails, and fails catastrophically such as in your pic, shouldnt be 'replaced in kind' or replaced with a duplicate; it should be either radicaly redesigned and/or radically 'beefed-up'. Chainplates that fail clearly show evidence that the plate was designed totaly ignoring the endurance limit of the base metal. The fatigue endurance limit for 300 series stainless is typically in the range of 30,000 psi (ultimate tensile 90,000 psi) .... plus the 'factor of safety', necessary for EVERY cyclically loaded structure needs to be increased.
If chainplates were properly designed, in the first place, one would RARELY see 'brittle failure' .... well maybe a few times in a hundred years.

:)
:)