Check list

Neo

Jan 30, 2015
Macgregor 26M Gosford
Hi Everyone,

The deposits down on my Mac26M and I'll need to give her a full inspection in a few days time. I've previously owned a power boat and I'm very mechanically minded but I'm as green as they come about sailboats ... But keen to learn ;)

Anyway, you guys are the experts. You have the experience and the knowledge I need right now to ensure this Yacht is in in sound condition. So if you have moment could you please give me your Checklist of what I should be looking for and testing out?.... Maybe this has been done before (in a previous) for the 26M?...If so, please point me in the right direction.

Thanks for your help.

Happy sailing :dance:
Neo

Oct 21, 2010
Macgregor 26S, "Myuna" Brisbane, Australia
Hi Everyone,

The deposits down on my Mac26M and I'll need to give her a full inspection in a few days time. I've previously owned a power boat and I'm very mechanically minded but I'm as green as they come about sailboats ... But keen to learn ;)

Anyway, you guys are the experts. You have the experience and the knowledge I need right now to ensure this Yacht is in in sound condition. So if you have moment could you please give me your Checklist of what I should be looking for and testing out?.... Maybe this has been done before (in a previous) for the 26M?...If so, please point me in the right direction.

Thanks for your help.

Neo
Hi Neo,
Best to also go to the following forum
http://www.macgregor26x.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=19&sid=8e076fe85bf00d2cf5b857c07928bcd1
It is for Australian based Macgregor owners (although anyone is welcome to contribute of course). May even be someone in your local area that can help in some way.

Mar 4, 2013
Macgregor M26 Wiggins pass
Survey

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your help.

What

Neo
What you need is a yacht surveyor. Well worth the money

Jan 4, 2015
macgregor 26m lake tahoe and Santa Cruz
Buying the Mac

We just bought a 2006 26M and didn't have the luxury of even seeing the boat before buying as it was out of state. SO we relied on pictures and a video of it running. Now that we have it, and sailed it last weekend, here are the things we found that were surprises.
1) The battery was there and we "found" the kill switch and the engine runs, but there is no power flowing to the lights and radio, even though it is cabled correctly.
2) The engine won't steer correctly as the way it was mounted has it offset so it turns to one side but not the other. Not sure if our steering mechanism that attaches to the engine was incorrectly installed or this is a feature.
3) We had a furling jib, never used but no UV cover so the inside was perfect but outer 4" shredded.
4) We had a furling main that wasn't advertised. This can be a $10K add on (not that I'd pay it) but a bonus.
Otherwise our boat was a steal and in great shape.

Neo

Jan 30, 2015
Macgregor 26M Gosford
We just bought a 2006 26M and didn't have the luxury of even seeing the boat before buying as it was out of state. SO we relied on pictures and a video of it running. Now that we have it, and sailed it last weekend, here are the things we found that were surprises.
1) The battery was there and we "found" the kill switch and the engine runs, but there is no power flowing to the lights and radio, even though it is cabled correctly.
2) The engine won't steer correctly as the way it was mounted has it offset so it turns to one side but not the other. Not sure if our steering mechanism that attaches to the engine was incorrectly installed or this is a feature.
3) We had a furling jib, never used but no UV cover so the inside was perfect but outer 4" shredded.
4) We had a furling main that wasn't advertised. This can be a $10K add on (not that I'd pay it) but a bonus.
Otherwise our boat was a steal and in great shape.
Hi Patbrogan,

Are you happy with your Mac?

If you could turn back the clock what questions should you have asked and what things would you have checked on?

Many thanks.
Neo

Jan 4, 2015
macgregor 26m lake tahoe and Santa Cruz
Hi Patbrogan, Are you happy with your Mac? If you could turn back the clock what questions should you have asked and what things would you have checked on? Many thanks. Neo
just the items above otherwise we love it but need to solve steering problem.