Cheap Refrigeration (A/C only)

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Ray

We did the cheap refig thing on our Hunter 34.saw it posted on photo forum. Bought a new dorm size fridge and took the guts out. Installed easy enough, but I was also replacing counter tops so I could cut out some of the top where the compressor and condenser went. Will have to wait for the heat of summer... but don't forsee any problem as long as I have A/C which is most nights. Total cost under $100.

B

Barry

OK !

I'm suprized more folks don't do that. Mine's been running since 1994 so I got my $40 investment back by not buying ice. I've done addition work since the original posting and have found that there is NO (zero) insulation on the bottom of the h34 ice box. I added and inspection port so I could get access to the drain hose. Glad I did it or I would not have known. Barry

R

Ron

How about......

I used to run an AC fridge in my 18 wheeler. I ran it off a 1000 watt inverter with no trouble at all. The only problem was that the fridge couldn't take the constant banging of the truck hitting pot holes, etc. Have you ever considered running your built in AC fridge off an inverter??? I'm interested in your comments.... Ron/KA5HZV

A

Al Nash

Great Stuff can Break Stuff

Foam insulation continues to expand after it has started to harden; I've seen it move walls. So BE CAREFUL!!!

J

Joe Dickson

I'm Ready...

I saw the same post, and I have a 'dorm' fridge ready to dismantle. It will be so nice to spend my ice money on something else cold. I have already scoped out where to install the evaporator and compressor, but the one thing I'm lacking at this point is the time to do it...

R

Ray

Web Site

I haven't heard of any but you can go to the photo forum.Barry posted some pics there. I did my refrigeration much the same. Only difference I put the receptacle outside the unit so I could run the cord from my microwave. I resurfaced my counter tops and remodeled the sliding cabinets along the side to accomadate a microwave, TV and laptop computer. I still like some sliding cabinets to hide stuff in.

Status
Not open for further replies.