Charts? Charts? We don't need no stinking CHARTS!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
For many of us it is that time of year when the Chart Renewal notice pops up in our email.

"Your chart automatic renewal date has arrived... We will be sucking $25..$50...$100 etc. from your account on 15 March." :yikes:

The Ides of March was the deadline in Romann times to settle all your debts.

Sure it is just in time for this year. Your Big Cruise planning session is about to start. You got to have charts. But what charts do you need?

You heard last year that your favorite paper charts were no longer being printed by the government (NOAA). Maybe you can get by for another year with the ones you found on the boat, left by the previous owner, what was it 5-7 years ago. Sure they are still good. Not too many coffee or spaghetti stains on them... Man the kids sure had fun when we had that food fight.

It is now time for replacement charts of your favorite sailing grounds. But what to get? NOAA ENC charts, Navionics, C-Map, Lighthouse, Garmin, Raster (oh those are mostly discontinued) so many choices.

Does it really matter?

Perhaps it does. Buried in the fine print of ColRegs and the Notice to Users that appears when you open your chart product is this nasty little legal paragraph. It goes something like this..

Third party vector charts are not ENC, and apps that use them require an end user license agreement (EULA) wherein the user acknowledges, in one form or another, that they know the charts being used are not official charts, and that official charts are required for safe navigation.
The term ENC is a legal term. It stands for Electronic Navigational Chart. It identifies charts that meet Chart Standard 57 of the International Hydrographic Organization (IHO). Since ENC charts will be the only "official chart" I believe we need to consider the issue.

Will insurance companies pay our claim if we are using something other than an official chart?

What ever you choose, be sure you understand the differences associated with these new ENC vector based charts. The charts are comprised of an electronic base layer. Then additional detail layers are added to build up the image. For example rocks, buoys, labels sandbars, may each be given a layer. When zoomed out there is no reason to show you all the detail. As you zoom in only then is the detail revealed.

That rock you remember in your favorite bay may not appear on the graphic screen unless you are zoomed into to the proper layer.

Be safe out there this season.

Oct 22, 2014
There is no limit to what you may buy from a commercial producer.

The CG only says you must have an official chart. ENC charts will be defined as Official, as the Raster charts are discontinued.
Your insurance may require an official chart to demonstrate compliance.

There is nothing, I find, saying you can not use additional charts. If you never run aground, need to be rescued do to your navigational charts, or want insurance to pay a claim that can be traced back to the charts you used, then I think as a recreational craft you can use what ever. This does not apply to commercial craft.

One idea deserves query. You have downloaded the free NOAA ENC charts. Your chart plotter will not display ENC charts. Are you in compliance? I guess only the time to write a specific rule and the lawyers will eventually decide.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
The CG only says you must have an official chart.
Is a chart required equipment on recreational vessels? I can find references for requirements on commercial vessels (CFR Title 33 and Title 46) but nothing explicitly about recreational vessels.

The USCG has a pretty good write-up of the move to accepting ENC’s and the associated considerations (including a requirement for the capability to display the ENC’s) at https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Portals/9/...VIC/2016/NVIC_01-16_Ch-2_Final_2020-05-21.pdf.

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
Jssailem, I know exactly what you mean by underwater hazards not be displayed on electronic chart except if it is at the correct zoom level.
I was in san Francisco bay in 35 feet of water when I noticed that my depth sounder warned me of shallow 4 feet depth. I ignored the warning since the Chart plotter was showing me plenty of water depth. After I got back to my slip I viewed my track on the chart plotter and upon zooming in I discovered that I just went over a shipwreck. There were actually 2 of them in that area. Now I avoid them. So much for charts.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Is a chart required equipment on recreational vessels? I can find references for requirements on commercial vessels (CFR Title 33 and Title 46) but nothing explicitly about recreational vessels.
Great question! I can't find anything either. Certainly can find requirements for commercial vessels but what are the chart requirements for a recreational vessel?

I've just always gone with the commercial requirements....

dj

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Certainly can find requirements for commercial vessels but what are the chart requirements for a recreational vessel?
None.

The commercial charts, Navionics, C-Map, AquaMaps are all based on NOAA ENC or Raster Charts. Each company adds additional layers and information in various marketing ploys. Just like the weather apps, they all use the same data, mostly coming from government sources.

Oct 22, 2014
Is a chart required equipment on recreational vessels?
I agree. I have not found a Coast Guard requirement that specifies a recreational boater is required to have charts on board their craft.

What has been stated, is that the ENC chart will be the "Offical Chart", once the transition is complete. It will be the chart that is in complaince the IHO standard. The question I pose, what will be the position of the insurance business.

Will they be able to deny a claim that is the result of the boat being operated having a non "official chart" when the cause of the damage is the lack of proper navigation (i.e. the fault of the boat owner)?

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
I'm diligent about updating charts at least quarterly, and I think the fees for updated electronic charts are reasonable. @jssailem I think you are fear-mongering. Please cite a reference for what you wrote about ENCs being required. All I could find in the CFRs is this (note the type of charts is not specified):
CHARTS AND PUBLICATIONS
All vessels must carry adequate, up-to-date charts and nautical publications.
Publications include U.S. Coast Pilot, Coast Guard Light List, and tide and
current tables. (46 CFR 184.420).

I've never heard about an insurance company denying a claim because a chart is a commercially published version, or even out of date. Can you cite an example of that?

• Sad
Jun 14, 2010
Also, let's not give insurance companies more ideas about how to deny claims. I think they're already quite good at that. shhhh :facepalm:

Oct 22, 2014
Please cite a reference for what you wrote about ENCs being required. All I could find in the CFRs is this (note the type of charts is not specified):
CHARTS AND PUBLICATIONS
Thank you Larry.
I am not suggesting FEAR anything. "THE ONLY THING WE HAVE TO FEAR IS FEAR ITSELF."

Monitoring the NOAA information on charts, there is much being published about the discontinued Raster charts and the moderization of NOAA charts to be ENC charts. Of course this is only relvant regarding US waters.

If I am going to buy charts, what charts should I be considering?
Will I be able to have "official" charts available on my boat and plotter?
What are "Official" charts?
If I am going to use ENC charts, am I knowledgable about the differences between the Raster Charts and ENC charts?

For the past serveral years I have understood that ENC charts can creat a problem for navigators. in 2014 a professional navigator errored and the boat Vestus crashed into a reef in the middle of the Indian ocean. Watch Nightmare Unfold Onboard Team Vestas While Hitting Reef at 19 Knots.

Canada of course has it's own requirement regarding the Canadian Hydrographic Service (CHS)'s nautical charts
The question is how is "adequate, up-to-date charts" defined.

Jan 11, 2014
I'm diligent about updating charts at least quarterly, and I think the fees for updated electronic charts are reasonable. @jssailem I think you are fear-mongering. Please cite a reference for what you wrote about ENCs being required. All I could find in the CFRs is this (note the type of charts is not specified):
CHARTS AND PUBLICATIONS
Publications include U.S. Coast Pilot, Coast Guard Light List, and tide and
current tables. (46 CFR 184.420).

I've never heard about an insurance company denying a claim because a chart is a commercially published version, or even out of date. Can you cite an example of that?
Yes indeed, this thread started as fear mongering.

The CFR citation (46 CFR 184.420) is in Subchapter T which covers Small Passenger Vessels. If you care to read more, Subchapter T can be read here.

Taken out of context 46 CFR 184.420 could mistakenly be believed to apply to recreational vessels. However, Subchapter C covers uninspected vessels carrying passengers for hire see 46 CFR 24.01. This doesn't apply to recreational boaters.

I am not suggesting FEAR anything. "THE ONLY THING WE HAVE TO FEAR IS FEAR ITSELF."
Yes you are.

Will insurance companies pay our claim if we are using something other than an official chart?
For the past serveral years I have understood that ENC charts can creat a problem for navigators. in 2014 a professional navigator errored and the boat Vestus crashed into a reef in the middle of the Indian ocean. Watch Nightmare Unfold Onboard Team Vestas While Hitting Reef at 19 Knots.
If I am going to buy charts, what charts should I be considering?
Will I be able to have "official" charts available on my boat and plotter?
What are "Official" charts?
"Your chart automatic renewal date has arrived... We will be sucking $25..$50...$100 etc. from your account on 15 March." :yikes:
The Ides of March was the deadline in Romann times to settle all your debts.
It is now time for replacement charts of your favorite sailing grounds. But what to get? NOAA ENC charts, Navionics, C-Map, Lighthouse, Garmin, Raster (oh those are mostly discontinued) so many choices.
These kinds of statements are designed to raise emotions and border on gross fallacies and innuendo, with a not terribly disguised political point of view.

So, let's talk about some facts.

Recreational boaters are not required by the CFRs to carry any charts what so ever.

All electronic charts for US waters are based on NOAA's ENC data. How often the providers update their charts varies. How often do recreational boaters update their electronic chart also varies. Some charts like those from AquaMaps are updated daily and weekly.

Is it good practice to at least annually up date charts? Yes, not because some previously uncharted rock will suddenly becharted, more because buoys and lights are moved or eliminated. Surveys are rarely done, except in known shoaling areas, like harbors, inlets, and dredged channels. Check the dates on the charts you have. With the exception of buoy data, the charts I bought in 1984 are still accurate, the islands and shoals haven't moved and Lake Ontario has not been surveyed in a long time.

Finally, it takes some skill and experience to read the CFRs. I've spent a good part of the last 3 months reading and learning about how to understand and interpret CFR 46 and a few other chapters. In addition to the CFRs there are a number of guidance documents produced by the CG that detail how the CFR will be interpreted and (most annoyingly) the CFRs frequently incorporate standards from ASTM, AWS, ABS, ABYC, and a multitude of other standards and testing organization. (The standards of course are not available to the public without paying a fee to the Standards Organization or by appointment with the National Archives for read only access.)

Jun 14, 2010
@jssailem the problem of losing detail at different display zoom levels is endemic to all vector charts, not just ENC. Whether Bluecharts, Navionics, CMAP, or any other international charts. If they are rendered onscreen using vector technology (vs. rastor: rastorized images) this problem exists.
Boaters just need to be educated and practice what they learn. Whether using chartplotters or navigation software on a tablet, people need to examine every route at a zoomed-in level. I navigate with 2 screens using my chartplotter (Navionics chip updated at least quarterly) and Aqua Map app on my ipad (It uses NOAA charts in the US and Explorer charts in the Bahamas). Usually they are at different zoom levels. The CP has radar overlaid and both display AIS overlay.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
From my perspective, the ENC charts will improve over time as different scenarios arise. The issue of needing to be at the correct zoom level is nothing more than a programming issue. As the systems mature, many of these issues will find solutions.

It's also not a bad idea to actually look at a route you've planned carefully going to many zoom levels throughout the route.

The example from Team Vestas is frankly a navigator who did not do his due diligence. Ask the captain of that ship if he'll ever use that navigator again. The answer is absolutely not.

It seems to me more that these kinds of complaints lie always when technology changes how things were to a new method/format. We all have to learn how to better understand and use the new format.

The ENCs provide an excellent way of having charts. But they are different from the old raster charts and we all need to understand those differences and learn how to utilize the new system to our advantage.

dj

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
:plus:
________

From my perspective, the ENC charts will improve over time as different scenarios arise.
I remember finding the Charts you needed for your Atlantic Crossing on Paper too. @jssailem told you I could Print charts on my HP 800 Design Jet Printer. 42 inch wide printer on 100 foot paper roles.
_______

You all need to calm down. IMHO

Captain Jim can print some free for most on SBO.

Just point to your PDF file chart and for a minor fee, shipped to you in a USPS container.

Take Care and sip an Adult Beverage .

Jim...

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Captain Larry, did you happen to see Dave's thread on a recent SCOTUS ruling? Here's the link Keep Those Fire Extinguishers Up To Date

It was interesting to read about how far Insurance Companies will go to deny claims. Could having out of date or unauthorized charts be used to deny a claim? From that thread and article it sounds possible to me.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
What has been stated, is that the ENC chart will be the "Offical Chart", once the transition is complete.
The commercial charts, Navionics, C-Map, AquaMaps are all based on NOAA ENC or Raster Charts. Each company adds additional layers and information in various marketing ploys. Just like the weather apps, they all use the same data, mostly coming from government sources.
If I'm reading this correctly, the commercial charts named above, that are based on Raster Charts will no longer be "Official"?

Jan 11, 2014
It was interesting to read about how far Insurance Companies will go to deny claims. Could having out of date or unauthorized charts be used to deny a claim? From that thread and article it sounds possible to me.
The crux of the argument for voiding the insurance was the boat owner's failure to abide by the insurance contract. The fire system had not been inspected as required by the insurance contract. It's too early in the morning to dig into the CFRs, however, fire suppression systems are required on some recreational boats. There is another similar case, can't remember all the details, however the insurance company required a licensed captain to be on board the vessel. The boat motored to the Bahamas with a captain on board and moored at a marina. The captain left and went home, a hurricane came through, the boat was damaged, the insurance company tried to deny the claim because a licensed Captain was not on board to supervise securing the boat for the hurricane.

The case for charts is different. Commercial vessels do have carriage requirements for charts, recreational vessels do not. Unless the specific policy says you must carry charts, then I think there would few grounds to deny the claim or void the policy on that grounds.

The Loose Cannon Substack is a great source for news from the boating world.