Chartplotter proximity to compass

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 30, 2007
Hunter 36 Forked River, NJ
It seems the majority of sailors with wheel steering and chartplotters mount the display to the pedestal guard. My new Raymarine chartplotter installation instructions specify mounting the display "at least 3 feet away from a magnetic compass." This would obviously thwart my plan to have it at the helm where I could see and use it, and where it seems everyone else has installed theirs. What impact would a chartplotter in this position actually have on a magnetic compass?

Nov 26, 2006
Hunter 31 1987 Fly Creek Marina Fairhope,AL.
Deviation

It seems the majority of sailors with wheel steering and chartplotters mount the display to the pedestal guard. My new Raymarine chartplotter installation instructions specify mounting the display "at least 3 feet away from a magnetic compass." This would obviously thwart my plan to have it at the helm where I could see and use it, and where it seems everyone else has installed theirs. What impact would a chartplotter in this position actually have on a magnetic compass?
Well if i am not mistaken, The electrical interfearence from the power and GPS data will make y0our Mag compass off a few degreees or so.
Try placing a screw driver around the compass and watch it swing. This is similar but exagerated example of what electrical magnetic fields do to compassses. Since the GPS itself gives me a course and heading info I only need the compass as a back up.
I replaced the compass on my pedistal with new Ritchie and swung the compass to match the course reading off of GPS on $ different tracks.
Being N.S. E. and W.

Hope this sheds some light on the subject for you.

Happy sailing

Oct 22, 2008
- Telstar 28 Buzzards Bay
Yes, the GPS chart plotter could cause the compass to deviate, but you really need to check your individual setup. Some GPS units are less prone to causing errors in the compass, depending on the distance from the compass, how the wiring is run, etc.

Oct 2, 2006
Jboat J24 commack
It depends on how much magnetic metal is in the unit BUT i can tell you that leaving and air horn in a drink holder will sure throw it off :)

Mar 3, 2007
Catalina 36 Lexington Mi
My Chartplotter does make make compass spin a few degrees off but only when you turn it on. If the power to the plotter is off then the compass works like it should.

Oct 22, 2008
The electrical current can also cause compass deviation, as can electromagnetic forces.... :)

It depends on how much magnetic metal is in the unit BUT i can tell you that leaving and air horn in a drink holder will sure throw it off :)

Sep 25, 2008
CS 30 Toronto
I have a Cobra chartplotter on the pedestal with no deviation. After installing and turn it on, go out and spin the boat to calibrate the compass. You should do it once a while anyway. For the 12V power wires, just twist them so the megnetic fields cancel out. If you can find shielded wires the better.

Most compass can be tuned to compensate for magnetic materials around. Even steel boat can be calibrated. Some compass comes with two iron balls designed for steel boats.

Oct 22, 2008
I have a Cobra chartplotter on the pedestal with no deviation. After installing and turn it on, go out and spin the boat to calibrate the compass. You should do it once a while anyway. For the 12V power wires, just twist them so the megnetic fields cancel out. If you can find shielded wires the better.
Spinning the boat to calibrate the compass only works for FLUXGATE compasses, not the magnetic ones on the binnacle.

Most compass can be tuned to compensate for magnetic materials around. Even steel boat can be calibrated. Some compass comes with two iron balls designed for steel boats.
Yes, you can adjust a compass, but doing so properly is a bit of a PITA for most people.

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
A few thoughts

Banooma - it's good that you've read the instructions (my wife always accuses me of bypassing them but I usually get around to it eventually!), and that you're concerned about deviation.

One thought is you can contact the manufacturer's help line and hear if they can elaborate on it. My guess is, if they're smart, they won't open the company to liability but they might provide some interesting insight. Just for giggles, you might ask them what kind of compass sensitivity the 3-ft recommendation is based on.

Another thought is, it depends on the quality and condition of your compass. If it's an OEM unit, a really old hummer and never been serviced, and if you never really use it, then it's basically just for show and doesn't really matter. Well, except, perhaps, for resale. But then if a prospective buyer isn't savvy and doesn't plan to use it then it still doesn't matter.

Then, there is my lesson learned.

I installed a loud hailer and bought the remote speaker-mic with push-to-talk. The main unit was installed at the nav station down below where it's hard to get to from the cockpit so, hence, the remote.

The next step was to install the remote speaker-mic. That's one of those small units about the size of those hockey-puck type mic units like on CBs, and the speaker is about 2", max. I checked out it's sensitivity to my compass, a Wheems & Plath "Venus" and, lo and behold, I had to have the darn thing about 5 FEET :eek: away to avoid moving the compass card!!! And that's not all - that was with it not even connected. Plus (or minus, depending on how you look at it), it only has a quite small permanent magnet!

Okay, so now you wonder about all that other stuff, you know, like stereo speakers with 20 oz magnets, VHFs (with speaker magnets and mics), etc., and you have to really wonder what the value of the compass really is.

Another example, and it's easy to check, all those who have had problems with their autopilot. There have been a lot of posts about these problems. A lot of these issues can be traced back to magnetic interference of one sort or another.

I've participated on a few "Power squadron 'races'", this is where they go time and distance so it's not exactly a race, as an observer and you'd be surprised how loaded down the bridge is on some of the power boats with electronics, gauges, and who knows what else, and they have a compass sitting there right in front of the wheel. So impressive. I guess.

Checking by swinging now may reveal no problem but if the compass is ever upgraded (or repaired) then it could be an issue.

On a more positive note, I'm sure the manufacturer of the unit has done everything possible to minimize the electromagnetic radiation so their 3-ft recommendation SHOULD BE a valid one.

Last edited:
May 11, 2005
Seidelman S37 Slidell, La.
Compass

Ihave a Garmin 498, mounted on the pedestal guard. Is probably close to 12" from the compass. Max deviation I have noticed with the plotter turned on is about 3 degrees. Doesn't seem to have any effect when turned off. I figure that is close enough for me not to worry about it. Don't think I can steer a compass course much closer than that. If I really need the compass, when the GPS fails, won't effect it anyway. The stuff with speakers in it, is a totally different story, as the magnets will really screw things up.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
I think this was discussed a month or more ago..?? anyway, I have a Garmin 545 on a stainless arm about a foot from the compass. When installed, it pulls the compass about 3-4 degrees but it does not make a difference whether the power is on or off. Garmin says something like 42 inches is a safe compass distance for my unit. I agree with Nice/Easy.. I can't steer that close anyway.. and the autopilot compass is correct.

Jun 8, 2004
hunter 27 Savannah
chartplotter mount

On my 27 footer the chartplotter sits on a swing arm attached to
the aft bulkhead of the cabin. I can swing it into the companion way
to face the wheel or back into the cabin to face forward.
Advantage: No plotter in the open when the boat is left alone.
Plotter can face the chart table.
Disadvantage: Long distance from wheel to companion way.
Obstruction of companion way when plotter is in the way.
Plotter difficult to see through wet (plexiglass) hatch
boards.
Cost of swing arm.

But overall this solution works for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.