Charter Destinations in San Juan Islands and Vicinity

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Good Morning,

You guys shouldn’t get to have nearly all of the west-coast cruising fun! With the Canadian border closed, I’m curious about worthy destinations for a six-night charter departing Bellingham the last week of August. The only places I’ve visited by sailboat in the SJ’s are Sucia (Echo Bay), Roche and Friday harbors, years ago. I’ve been reading with interest the cruise recaps of the last couple of weeks, wondering how we might explore some of the more local destinations there.

KG

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
Given that the border with Canada is still closed, a charter would need to "limit themselves" to only US waters so it could get rather boring.
... after a decade or three.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
More seriously, it depends on what you want from the cruise. If you want "night life" now is probably not the best time due to the shut down of bars. If you want beautiful scenery and nice anchorage, pick a indentation and enjoy. There are too many to list.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
KG the folks at Waggoner’s Guide have been doing a weekly review of sailing in the Puget Sound. You can join one of their weekly broadcasts.

• Helpful
Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
If you haven't been there I found Garrison Bay interesting, perfect anchorage like we'd dream of down here, nice little hill to hike up and stretch your legs, just around the corner from Roche. Also straight across from Echo Bay is Matia which has a short pier and a couple mooring balls, tiny island wilderness.

• Helpful
Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
Here are the other US anchorages we have enjoyed on two charters out of Anacortes:

Aleck Bay - quiet and lots of wildlife.
Cascade Bay on Orcas Island - access to Rosario Resort
Prevost Harbor at Stuart Island State Park. Anchor or moorings at a beautiful island park.
West of Decatur Head on the East side of Decatur Island is a good anchorage.
Eagle Harbor on the NE side of Cypress Island is a good anchorage, but it was full when we tried to anchor there.

I think there are a lot of other good anchorages in the San Juans that we have not tried.

Oct 22, 2014
Sailing in the Juan D’Fuca gives the best opportunity to sail in strong winds and testing seas. But even there can be fickle at times.
1595693904053.jpeg

One of my Juan D’Fuca crossings. Looked like a morning on a lake. Without a map you would not know the waters open to the Pacific Ocean.

Places I enjoy are the waters around Port Townsend. Anchorages include Port Townsend, Mystery Bay, Port Ludlow, Sequim, even Port Angeles.

Moving down the sound you can vary your trip into the Hood Canal or down Sound. Down Sound include Kingston, Poulsbo, Bremerton/Port Orchard, Gig Harbor, Blake Island, Seattle!, up thru the Locks to Lake Union or Washington, then back north to Possession Sound, Everett, Langley, Hope Island, maybe a run thru Deception Passage (tidal current based) and up Rosario Strait to boats home, or a challenge thru the ditch at high tide - short cut back to Bellingham.

It would be easy to setup a month of sailing and visiting experiences.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Prevost harbor, Reid Harbor, Sucia, Maria, Clark Is, Blind Bay, West Sound, Deer Harbor, Jones Is, Spencer Spit, Hunter Bay, a little anchorage just inside Lopez Pass, parks Bay (no shore access), Inati Bay, Fisherman’s Bay
when on Orcas Is, you can rent a car and drive the Is. The view from Mt. Constitution is phenomenal.

• Helpful
Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Sailing in the Juan D’Fuca gives the best opportunity to sail in strong winds and testing seas. But even there can be fickle at times.
View attachment 182899
One of my Juan D’Fuca crossings. Looked like a morning on a lake. Without a map you would not know the waters open to the Pacific Ocean.

Places I enjoy are the waters around Port Townsend. Anchorages include Port Townsend, Mystery Bay, Port Ludlow, Sequim, even Port Angeles.

Moving down the sound you can vary your trip into the Hood Canal or down Sound. Down Sound include Kingston, Poulsbo, Bremerton/Port Orchard, Gig Harbor, Blake Island, Seattle!, up thru the Locks to Lake Union or Washington, then back north to Possession Sound, Everett, Langley, Hope Island, maybe a run thru Deception Passage (tidal current based) and up Rosario Strait to boats home, or a challenge thru the ditch at high tide - short cut back to Bellingham.

It would be easy to setup a month of sailing and visiting experiences.
I sort of “fell in love” with Port Townsend from my first visit there in the 1990’s. We have a framed poster on the wall at home from the 1994 Wooden Boat Festival! Even though a tourist destination, it retains enough of its rustic waterfront character, IMO, to hang there for a few days at a time. Even did a B&B there some years back. That was “interesting.”

Thanks for your notes on routes. I’ve been cogitating possible routes from Bellingham Bay to Port Townsend Bay with the idea of anchoring in the Bay. I notice an area just SW of the Port, shoreward of the 5 fm contour, where I seemed to recall having seen sailboats anchored. On a six-night charter, departing Bellingham Bay on the ebb tide, one-night stop enroute; continuing on the next day‘s ebb to Port Townsend Bay for maybe the 2nd and 3rd nights. Return toward BB on the flood tides and spend the 5th and 6th nights in the SJ’s, arriving BB the morning of the 7th day. The distance looks to be 100 to 110 n.mi. ROUND TRIP. Of course, it might be more relaxing to just, as mentioned above, gunkhole around th SJ’s for six nights and make only short travel, etc.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
If you haven't been there I found Garrison Bay interesting, perfect anchorage like we'd dream of down here, nice little hill to hike up and stretch your legs, just around the corner from Roche. Also straight across from Echo Bay is Matia which has a short pier and a couple mooring balls, tiny island wilderness.
Thanks a bunch. I check ‘em out if we hang up there!
KG

Oct 22, 2014
KG. Bellingham to PT is about 36NM. On an ebb tide down Rosario that should be 6hr Cruise, maybe 7 if you are sailing part way on fickle winds. I’d first night in Port Hudson. Make a reservation. Spend a day or two depending on your interests. Then a short day sail/cruise around Pt Wilson to Sequim Harbor for an anchor in a sheltered harbor. Watch the tides to time your entry. If the winds are up and favorable a crossing of the Juan D’Fuca to Mosquito Pass on the WNW side of San Juan Island will lead you up to Garrison Bay. One or two days there with a dinghy and you can visit the pleasures of Roche Harbor with out the Summer time rates. Waggoner’s reported that RH and Rosario Resort are full this weekend. If hoping to find a slip call and reserve early. The islands are operating on lower available number of slips to keep the head count near or within the COVID limits.

From there you have a number of options:
  • Fisherman’s bay on west side of Lopez Island,
  • Watmough Bay on the island South East corner,
  • Eagle Harbor on the east side of Cypress Island (one of Terry Cox’s favs),
  • Deer Harbor on West side of Orcas Island
  • A run up Presidents Channel can lead you to Sucia Island where hiking and nature are at their finest.
Pick a couple of spots but leave time for a night at Anacortes. Great restaurants, marine/logging history, shopping for the ladies, and you can sneak into the Waggoner’s office and reading room to explore their many books, maps and info on the Salish Sea.

Unlike the Southern Cal sailing grounds you can choose the above route in either direction and never sail the same water. I like to plan my cruise based on the tides and forecasted winds. The tides are pretty dependable the winds not so much.

So many options one week is not enough.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Thanks. Rechecking the NOAA “distances between ports publication“, I see I read the wrong column or something. It actually gives PT to BB as 43 n.mi. But I like 36 even better! Thanks for your suggestions. Pt Hudson would definitely be more to the point of visiting PT. I know the place; right near the museum & downtown. I’ll check it out. I have been to Anacortes a few times.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Sept. 4, 5, & 6 look like near-perfect days to make a 6-hr run from Bellingham to PT in daylight. On those mornings, respectively, the tide turns ebb over the time range of about 0600 the 4th, to 0730 the 6th, ending in early afternoon each day. Can we hope for a northwesterly wind by 1000? By Sept. 10, flood tides are starting after daybreak and lasting several hours, to facilitate the return, all else good.:) But, Labor Day Weekend:yikes:.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2006
Bavaria 35E seattle
We like the town of Eastsound on Orcas Island. Anchor nearby the city dock and dinghy over. The walk into town is only 2 or 3 blocks. Good restaurants and shops. We like Mijitas Mexican Kitchen. I'm from So Cal so I know when I find good Mex in WA!!!

• Helpful
Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
So. It looks like our route may be Squalicum Harbor (depart)--Pt Hudson Marina (PT)--Blind Bay—Rosario Marina/resort—Eagle Harbor—Inati Bay—Squalicum Harbor (return); 6 nights.
We’re looking for excellent weather, of course. Ebb tide to Pt. Hudson; flood tide back. Sunny. No fog!! I have my order in;).

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
So. It looks like our route may be Squalicum Harbor (depart)--Pt Hudson Marina (PT)--Blind Bay—Rosario Marina/resort—Eagle Harbor—Inati Bay—Squalicum Harbor (return); 6 nights.
We’re looking for excellent weather, of course. Ebb tide to Pt. Hudson; flood tide back. Sunny. No fog!! I have my order in;).
If you do go to Townsend, do it on both tides. Hit Smith Is at slack. That way you have the ebb coming south and then a flood going into Puget Sd. Opposite on way back. I always hit Smith Is at slack.. Pt. Wilson can have some rough water during tide turns...