Chart Plotter installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birchy

May 8, 2005
-Catalina -310 Gloucester, MA
Just purchased a Garmin GPSMAP 541. Need to install and wire for power. Suggestions or guidance appreciated.

Aug 24, 2009
Catalina 310 Sturgeon Bay, WI
I put my plotter right at the helm where it does the most good. (photo attached) Cheated, in that I just dropped down to the engine control pod and picked up the power for the plotter right in the pod. (I did fuse the plotter separate of the engine / instruments that were factory installed) When I installed the Radar upgrade, I had to pull more wires through the tube, (it is getting pretty tight in there) and went all the way back to the main panel for power. As I noted above, all depends on where you plan to put things. I mounted the junction box, and pulled all the wires for the plotter / radar interface under the steering gear. (photo attached)

Hope this helps - Russ

Attachments

gpd955

Feb 22, 2006
Catalina 310 Cape May, NJ
As an alternative, I ran a power/data cable from the instrument pod to the DC panel (I had to run the data cable there for the VHF anyway and to the autopilot) and used a terminal bar in the pod and panel to make the connections. It was a very easy job. If you're just using the power/data cable for power, then Long Story's way is probably the easiest.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.