Chart plotter choice

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
I vote for the B&G Zeus family too. feature loaded, great support, and Navico works to ensure that all their products interoperate with current and future systems. I've got a 12" Zeus at the helm and a 7" Zeus2 at the nav station(built in wifi) and they work great together. the broadband radar is fantastic and all generations work with all of the Navico MFDs (B&G, Lowrance, SIMRAD), so you can select the units that best meet your needs/budget.

Jan 4, 2010
Farr 30 San Francisco
Brands aside, one important concern is whether the MFD is a touch screen only or knob, button and touch screen. Knobs and buttons are easier to use in a seaway.
Yes if the touch screen gets wet, then it doesn't work well in my experience. So downstairs touchscreen in the cockpit touch screen can work until the conditions are bad... then just when you need it to work it stops!

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Yes if the touch screen gets wet, then it doesn't work well in my experience. So downstairs touchscreen in the cockpit touch screen can work until the conditions are bad... then just when you need it to work it stops!
I have had both the Raymarine 7 MFD, and the B&G Zeus2 MFD, in heavy rain, albeit under a bimini. I like that the Ray unit has a joystick integrated into the knob. I nearly broke the knob on the Zeus before I realized it didn't!

That said, I found the B&G more useable when wet than the e7. And I found the display on the Zeus better - brighter, higher clarity. However that might not be fair, as the Zeus I used was the 9" unit.

Also, the Zeus supports "pinch zoom," the e7 does not.

tjar

Aug 8, 2011
Hunter Legend 35.5 Tacoma, WA
Does any one have any experience with the Raymarine Axiom 7? .
I recently installed the Axiom 7 and have been pleased so far. I read the concerns about using a touch screen in the rain, but I couldn't justify the cost difference for a unit with buttons for the few times I would need it in the rain. (and I do sail in the border seasons in the northwest.)
I selected the Axion 7 for price as well as interoperability with my existing Ramarine instruments. I needed a converter for NMEA 2000 to interface with my autopilot and the MFD+converter was the most cost effective solution.

tjar

Aug 8, 2011
Hunter Legend 35.5 Tacoma, WA
The Axiom does support pinch zoom, but I found the + - "buttons" to be just as convenient.

Jan 4, 2013
Catalina 270 Rochester, NY
I recently installed the Axiom 7 and have been pleased so far. I read the concerns about using a touch screen in the rain, but I couldn't justify the cost difference for a unit with buttons for the few times I would need it in the rain. (and I do sail in the border seasons in the northwest.)
I selected the Axion 7 for price as well as interoperability with my existing Ramarine instruments. I needed a converter for NMEA 2000 to interface with my autopilot and the MFD+converter was the most cost effective solution.
I'm thinking of getting the Axion 9 since that would fit the hole from my Raymarine C70 unit. I am glad to hear you are happy with it.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Also, the Zeus supports "pinch zoom," the e7 does not.
The Axiom does support pinch zoom, but I found the + - "buttons" to be just as convenient.
I like the zoom by turning the knob.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
The latest Zeus, the Zeus3 does have both a touch screen and fully redundant knobs/buttons. Best of both worlds in some respects.

Jan 12, 2016
Hunter 410 Ladysmith, BC
We have the Raymarine ES 9" paired with Quantum 4G wifi radar. The new lighthouse II software is more sailor friendly than before, and it integrated easiest with our old ST60 instruments. Very nice plotter to have at the helm.