Charleston Spar - In mast furling

Jan 24, 2006
Catalina 310 Hudson, FL
Has anyone ever restrung the inhaul & outhaul on one of these? My lines are shot and they need replacing.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
You might get more responses if you don't limit your question to that specific model. Lot's of folks on this forum have or had the Selden or other systems. For the inhaul / outhaul their experiences may carry over. I replaced the continuous loop on my Hunter. I estimated the length by pulling the line between my extended arms - 6'. I use the same width line as was already used (If I remember 5/16). I had to have a rigger come to the boat and do the splice to close the loop. He is a local guy and it cost $25 or so. I bought the line from him.
If you want thicker line you have to make sure it goes through the stopper. If you want thinner line you have to make sure the stopper will hold it. You need to decide if you have too much excess line or if you want more excess line (So you can stay at the helm).
Do you have a continuous loop?

Jul 1, 2009
Catalina 310 Sydney-Pittwater
Has anyone ever restrung the inhaul & outhaul on one of these? My lines are shot and they need replacing.
I assume that you are referring to the furling mechanism as per [PDF]CATALINA 310 FURLING.pdf - SailboatOwners.com Forums under
https://www.google.com.au/?gfe_rd=c...g&gws_rd=ssl#q=catalina+310+furling&*&spf=109

My procedures:

1.Furling Screw Line
Fairly simple, provided the grub screw holding the furling line fast to the ‘Furling Screw’ is easily removed. If it has been in there for years, it may need some releasing agent applied. In my case, the s/s screw had virtually welded itself to the mast. It had to be drilled out and a new hole to be tapped (for a modern round head hex screw).

Once this first step completed, remove the old line from in-haul system. Then, thread new line thru the in-haul blocks and wind it around the furling screw by inserting it at the 3. or 4. slot (be guided by your current furled setting) from the bottom. Then wind it around downwards until you can thread it in/thru to the holding hole at the bottom. Tighten the grub screw and this part is done.

To assist in winding the line around the furling screw, I attach it to a slightly pre-bend wire to guide it in and around.

The alternative to this procedure is the manufacturer’s recommended one ( see Charleston’s technical website) of removing the sail and winding the line on upwards by rotating the furling screw.

I have also replaced the manufacturer’s recommended rope size from 10mm to 8mm. This reduces the friction on the guide wires substantially and makes for easier furling. I also use a 13m length instead of the recommended 18m. But, please, remeasure the length you may need.

3. Outhaul Rope
Just attach the new rope to one end of the old one and pull it thru the blocks. To do this I tightly butt both ends and thread some sail twine thru them, then cover with one thin layer of masking tape. This ensures that the rope don’t come apart inside the boom and lets it slide over the inner sheaves. The rope I use is 18m of 10mm dia., and fasten the ends with ‘Bowline’ knots.

Hope this helps.

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
I used the exact procedure above, including reducing the line diameter on the mainsail In line. My grub sure came out just fine, but getting the line into the hole was a bit of a chore.