charging wet batteries onboard

Mar 31, 2013
O'day 23 Pa
I've just installed a 30W solar panel and controller on my 23' O'day , everything seems to work, shows battery voltage have measured power and does indeed appear to charge(when the sun's out).
However, the battery is installed in the port cockpit locker, in a battery box.
What's going to happen to the fumes? I've disconnected the solar panel for now until I can get some answers on this. Batteries out gas during charging, and although I'm only using a 30W to keep the battery "topped" off during the sailing season, is this enough to generate enough gas to be a problem?
I don't really have any way of venting that locker, and moving the battery out is not doable.
Do I need to get a sealed battery? How are others addressing the hydrogen gas produced when charging?

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
I asked the same basic question in this thread. The common reply was it should not be an issue unless you are cooking your battery (lack of sufficient water). Give it a read and it may answer your question(s).

ebsail

Nov 28, 2010
O day 25 Nyack. New York
We have been doing the same thing for the past 6 years and have had no problems. When very slowly charging, like the 2.5 amps you max out at, not much gas is released. My two group 24's are also in battery boxes, but when I open the top of the locker,, any hydrogen would be released as its lighter than air.

Mar 31, 2013
O'day 23 Pa
I never even thought to do a search Brian<hangs head in shame>
That answers that question nicely though, thank you