"Charges Dismissed In Sailraces to Cuba"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 4, 2004
Sailboat - 48N x 89W
Why the embargo

In specific reply to Rich's question, the answer is: South Florida politics. You may recall we had a recent presidential election in which Florida was crucial. The Cuban Americans, exiles from Castro's Cuba, can deliver a large block of votes to the candidate who can win their support. Cuban Americans believe that the embargo hurts Castro and helps the cause of the exiles who want to overthrow him. The Republicans have been steadfast in supporting the embargo and the Cuban Americans have never forgiven Kennedy's abandonment at the Bay of Pigs. It is interesting that the charges are dropped only after the election.

Jun 4, 2004
Sailboat - 48N x 89W
Because it's against the law

Flying to Cuba from Canada, or anywhere else, is illegal for Americans unless they meet the criteria outlined in my earlier submittal. Charges have brought against many US citizens: a man returning his father's ashes, two retired schoolteachers on a bird watching tour, and many others. I don't think anyone has been successfully prosecuted, but defending yourself is expensive even if the charges are dropped.

E

Ed

They won't know

Your passport is never stamped in Cuba, so there is no documented record you arrived. ~ Happy sails to you ~ _/) ~

Jun 4, 2004
Sailboat - 48N x 89W
People have been arrested

Obviously they do know because people leaving from and returning to the Bahamas, Canada and Mexico have been arrested upon arrival. The probability of arrest is small, but the point is that the rules come out of Alice in Wonderland. If you sail to Cuba and get caught your boat can be seized (used in the commission of a crime) and you can be fined up to $250,000 and go to jail for up to 10 years. That probably won't happen but you'll need a lawyer anyway. Regardless, there a bigger things going on. Anyone interested in sailing to Iraq?

Jun 7, 2004
Hunter 34 Selby Bay
Perhaps, but..

Many more have gone and come back without a problem. Since your father is now 85, and he did ask to go there, I would take him (and take the chance of arrest) since he may not get another chance. ~ Happy sails to you ~ _/) ~

Jun 7, 2004
Hunter 34 Selby Bay
No time soon.

I was there in the early 70's. Since my folks are from PR, there isn't a need to visit very distantly related cousins. ;^) ~ Happy sails to you ~ _/) ~

Jun 7, 2004
- - N/A
I sailed with the 'accused' to Cuba

When I participated in the 2000 Conch Cup, a representative from the State Dept. showed up at our skipper's meeting saying that he couldn't stop us, but that we would all be considered guilty of breaking the boycott by just going there. He actually said that we would have to hire lawyers and travel to DC to prove our innocence. To protect Michelle, Peter (the organizers), and ourselves we decided to truncate the race at Sand Key. Unfortunately, all of the sailors apparently got lost after passing Sand Key and showed up in Varadero the next day. Someone voluntarily wrote down finishing times, and the Cubans held quite an awards party in our honor. There were two more races held off the Cuban shores with some Cuban competitors, and it was covered by the Cuban national news. Every single Cuban I met loved having us there, if not for the economic impact (we were fully hosted) but for the cultural exchange. The Cubans were professional and courteous in every endeavor, and the only threats we ever perceived were from the US government. As I understand the Bush doctrine of last January, they could seize my boat at any time. Not only is it capable of going to Cuba, but there is also a copy of Calder's Cuba Cruising Guide aboard. Oh, what a joy to be in 'the land of the free'. Where did we misplace that constitution anyways...

Alan

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 35.5 LI, NY
WHERE???

'WE' voted Bush back in!!!! That's what happens with a basically uneducated misguided public, only 50% or so of whom decided they can take enough time out to vote.

D

Dan McGuire

Whoa

I have said the following many times: Republicans are not all good and democrats are not all bad. The reverse also applies. Democrats are not all good and republicans are not all bad. We have a different way of looking at issues. It is a major philosophical difference, rather than being right or wrong. However when over half the population is accused of being stupid because they voted for Bush, I believe that at least some of the democrats are not showing the best judgement. I sincerely believe that attitude will practically guarantee another republican victory in 2008.

Alan

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 35.5 LI, NY
Dan, I agree totally....

.....BUT I never said 'Stupid', I said uneducated and misguided. Very different animals!! .....and that goes for both parties. However, Mr Bush is responsible for the current problem with his edict.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Gentlemen...

The recent election, while interesting and certanly worthy of discussion, is not a topic for this board. I'm sure CBS or Fox News has a place to cover it thoroughly. Please limit your posts here to matters that are _directly_ related to sailing. All us Democrats, Replublican, Greenies, and Libertarians thank you. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.