Chaplain's Oday Sailer

Aug 18, 2019
Oday Day Sailer II (17') Choctaw Beach Freeport FL
I have a17' Oday Sailer II. The centerboard is raised and lowered with a fore and aft cable that travels inside the centerboard housing out of sight. Yesterday while positioning to raise the mainsail, I lowered the centerboard and it stuck in the sandy bottom. The shifting of the boat seems to have pulled the forward cable beyond its normal stopping point and it is now jammed so it cannot be pulled to raise the centerboard. I was able to push the centerboard back into it's housing but I am not able to release the forward cable. Is there a construction diagram available somewhere for the centerboard operation?? Or have any of you encountered the same problem?

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Welcome aboard Chaplain!
My very first sailing experience was on an O’day 17. Fun boat.

You are currently in the forum section of SBO. Trying logging in here: Resources for owners of Oday. Photos, downloads, owner modifications, accessories, boats for sale, and more.
Same site but the info in the menus at the top of the page will be O’day specific.
At the top of the page there is a teal menu strip. Under Owner Resources, right hand side, you can a lot of over info. Photos, Reviews, Projects and Downloads. You may find the info or a manual for your boat there.

Have fun!

Aug 18, 2019
Welcome aboard Chaplain!
My very first sailing experience was on an O’day 17. Fun boat.

You are currently in the forum section of SBO. Trying logging in here: Resources for owners of Oday. Photos, downloads, owner modifications, accessories, boats for sale, and more.
Same site but the info in the menus at the top of the page will be O’day specific.
At the top of the page there is a teal menu strip. Under Owner Resources, right hand side, you can a lot of over info. Photos, Reviews, Projects and Downloads. You may find the info or a manual for your boat there.

Have fun!
Thanks much

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
Like this?
The up cable is not the usual problem, more often the one that pulls the CB down on 1971-74 models. O'DAY did add a short piece of bungee cord to the up cable setup in mid-1974 to try to reduce the potential slack that could cause a jam like you had. These drawings come from my expanded Owners Manual, I really should make up another drawing like the one for the 1974-77 models, but based on the 1971-73 boats.
1971-73 cb rigging.jpg

Attachments

Aug 18, 2019
Sunbird, This is very helpful. The 74-77 diagram is a little blurry but that looks like the design I have. Is it still possible to get a copy of that expanded owners manual from somewhere? I just need to get a good look at the operating mechanism to determine the best strategy and the amount of force I can apply in trying to pull the end of the cable back through the bushing at the forward end of the CB trunk. Also need to decide whether it would be best to have the center board down or up. Thanks again for your response. Very encouraging.

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
The Expanded Owners Manual is my creation, so still available. Although it sounds like your boat is an earlier model, I re=posted the 74-77 diagram full size. I also added a picture of a 1975 boat's setup, matching the drawing, might clear up some things.

DS-II_cb1974-77 dia.jpg
1975_CB controls.jpg