Changing steering on a Mac 26 S

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kim

We would like to know if anyone with a Mac 26S has changed their tiller/rudder setup back to the setup on the 26D. We find there is far too much play between the tiller and the aluminum post (the holes on the post keep getting larger from wear) and the rudder does not sit well in the castle (far too much space between the aft rudder blade edge and the castle) Plus the fact that the rudder is only held on by 1 bolt does not help the rigidity. In any case we sail on a small lake and do not dare sail any where else because of the loose and very sloppy feel of the stering mechanism. Any suggestions would be vastly appreciated.

K

Kim

No Problems

Had a 26S from 1990 to 1995 and had no rudder problem. Have 26X now.

B

Bob Cassel

Bore out the hole, larger bolt...

I went up to 1/2" on the tiller to rudder post connection. On the rudder housing, consider putting another bolt across the upper aft corner of the two side plates and tighten down the main pivot bolt pretty snug. I also flattened out the two plates pretty well so that the slop was decreased significantly. Going to the 26D housing just buys you more problems to solve, they weren't to stout either.

M

Mark

loosey goosey rudder

The previous owner of my 26s put 4 large washers (2per side) on the tiller to post connection and tightened the bolt to the point where the tiller up and down movement is quite stiff. This seems to have taken out the play and reduced the wear on the bolt hole. On the rudder end, I tightened the bolt that sets the rudder down position to pull the stainless ears a little closer to the rudder. I didn't tighten it as much as it needed for fear of cracking the weld to the rudder post, but I think it helped a little. I also tightened the rudder pivot bolt to the point where the rudder barely falls into the water from its own weight. These things helped but the feel is still quite loose. I have considered building up the rudder head with a couple layers of fiberglass, but this is low on my list since I have gotten used to the rudder now and it is fine even on wild days out on San Fransisco Bay.

R

Rick Tenan

Crank it down!

I've had some trouble with the rudder also. I found that tightening the bolts to the point of making the tiller stiff helped a lot. I also find it handy that the tiller will stay elevated on its own if I want into the lazarette. Crank it down! I have also flattened the rudder-post flanges a bit to make them grab the sides of the rudder a bit more flatly. Right now, I have almost no play in the rudder and am on my way to a marina on Lake Erie with high confidence in the boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.