Changing Sanitation Hose

DaveJ

Apr 2, 2013
Catalina 310 Niagara-on-the-Lake
2001 Catalina 310 with original sanitation hose. I looked at it yesterday and it appears to be difficult to get at the tank end. So I asked the yard guy for a quote. Five hours at $95/hour and $150 for the hose!!!!
Has anyone changed theirs and any helpful hints?
Cheers

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
It's probably going to go up from there. The hose is attached to the shelf at the foot of the berth. This was done at the factory before the liner was installed. So most cut an access point into the fiberglass and put a plate over it.

Search the forum and you will find other posts. I haven't done mine yet but it's coming. I'm sick of having a cheap head. I'm going to put in a Raritan as soon as I can figure out how to get one to St. Thomas (might have to just buy the pump and the base and use my old bowl). So Peggy, what hose are you recommending for 1.5-inch from the head to the tank?

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
2001 Catalina 310 with original sanitation hose. I looked at it yesterday and it appears to be difficult to get at the tank end. So I asked the yard guy for a quote. Five hours at $95/hour and $150 for the hose!!!!
Cheers
I don't mean to be critical and I certainly respect your desire to not get gouged, but ….
If I had to ask advise in here about how to get the hose off and there were no easy-to-do answers, I think I might consider the job money well spent to avoid a nightmare that I wouldn't want to get into. I've changed my hoses and it's not something I want to do again. :(

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
I don't mean to be critical and I certainly respect your desire to not get gouged, but ….
If I had to ask advise in here about how to get the hose off and there were no easy-to-do answers, I think I might consider the job money well spent to avoid a nightmare that I wouldn't want to get into. I've changed my hoses and it's not something I want to do again. :(
I guess I would respectfully disagree. We all had to start learning somewhere; at one point in time we all knew nothing about boats. On some things I learned I didn't have the benefit of a forum to help with finding the answers or suggestions. So I struggled through and spent more time and money then necessary. So ask away. And in my opinion do it all yourself if possible, that's how you learn and get better.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
And in my opinion do it all yourself if possible, that's how you learn and get better.
Amen! Not only is that a lot less expensive, but there are no mechanics at sea...nor any in coastal waters on Sunday either.

So Peggy, what hose are you recommending for 1.5-inch from the head to the tank?
If you're gonna replace the toilet discharge hose, replace ALL the hoses. For toilet -tank and tank discharge plumbing there are only two hoses I recommend--Trident 101/102 (identical except for color--101 is black, 102 has a white "skin" on it) Trident #101 Sanitation Hose Trident #10 2Sanitation Hose - , a double walled rubber hose that's been on the market for 20+ years without a single reported odor permeation failure....and Raritan SaniFlex Raritan SaniFlex hose , which hasn't had a single reported odor permeation failure--nor have I ever heard of any either--in the 10 years since Raritan introduced it.
Trident 101/102 has just one major drawback: it's as stiff as an ironing board...making it necessary to cut it and insert inline radius fittings in any bend more than 10-15 degrees. Raritan Saniflex, as you can see in the link, is so flexible it can be bent like a hairpin without kinking...which makes replacing hoses a LOT easier job. Its only drawback is, it's a bit pricier than the Trident...but only a couple $$/ft more if you know where to shop. So which to use depends on how straight the plumbing runs are.

Flex PVC #148 is fine for the vent line and toilet intake line. And as long as you're replacing the vent line, this would be a good time to upgrade to a 1" hose and open bulkhead thru-hull. Easy to do, thanks to a li'l gadget called the Uniseal UNISEAL

f I had to ask advise in here about how to get the hose off and there were no easy-to-do answers, I think I might consider the job money well spent to avoid a nightmare that I wouldn't want to get into.
Ever heard definition of the difference between cruising and yachting? Cruising is sailing your boat to exotic places to work on it...yachting is sailing your boat to exotic places to pay people to work on it.

Replacing hoses doesn't have to be a nightmare...although it is a lot more pleasant job if you do it in cool weather. Removing the old ones is a lot easier if you warm 'em a bit first...I always used a blow dryer. Same is true for putting 'em onto fittings--warm 'em a bit, smear a diswashing liquid--better yet a little K-Y surgical jelly (it's a lot slipprier)-- on the inside of the hose and the outside of the fitting to lubricate.
But, like most jobs, preparation is essential. Pumpout and THOROUGHLY rinse out the tank and flush gallons of clean water through the system to rinse it out before taking anything apart. Put a plastic garbage bag under each connection to catch any drips.
All this is covered step-by-step in a lot more detail in my book (see link in my signature below).

--Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
I agree with everything you just said. It's just that there are times when I think … "hmmm might it just be better to loosen my grip on the money and just let somebody else get the job done?" Changing a toilet hose just might be worth $625. I don't know that I would be anxious to do it for that amount. ;) Afterall, Davej's first inclination was to hire the yard. It seems that he only balked at the price. I'm not sure he wants to do this job. Perhaps he just needs an attitude adjustment about the money. I generally approve the idea of wealthy yacht owners spreading their money around so that the working class can make a decent wage. ;) It's that whole "trickle down" concept that seems to work well when it is applied! ;);)

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
2001 Catalina 310 with original sanitation hose. I looked at it yesterday
Cheers
We did that on our C310 a while back, using Trident hose (Peggy is right, very stiff stuff). It wasn't easy, but it wasn't that hard. If your 2001 has the hoses routed the same as our 2000 it's a pretty straight shot. Flush, flush, and flush again. Remove the toilet to make it easier. Remove the access door to the stern area. Put a boat cushion or fender over the edge to lay on. Remove the boards around the waste tank. I drilled small holes in the end of the old and new hose and used zip ties to connect them. Peggy recommends a sleeve, but I didn't have one. We pulled ours from the head to the stern. I thought I took pictures, but I can't find any now, sorry. I also found a very helpful write on this forum from another owner who detailed the steps he took replacing the hose.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
We have a 2001 h320 and the original sanitation hoses are still doing a fine job, what problem are you having? Odors, leaks, failure, frozen? Don't really know the average useful life of sanitation hoses but some do last more than others. Some problems like odors can have other causes and simpler solutions. I will replace the hoses after I determine they have reached the end or are very close to it. Although they are important they are not essential to the safe operation of the boat.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Don't really know the average useful life of sanitation hoses but some do last more than others.
Yours are definitely due for replacement, Benny. Odor permeation isn't the reason to do it. The average working life of any hose--exhaust, fuel, water and waste--is about 10 years because rubber and plastic dry out over time, making hoses hard, brittle and prone to cracking and even splitting...not what you'd want to happen to any hose that carries waste or is connected to a below-waterline thru-hull. In fact, I read in a BOAT/US article several years ago that failed hoses are the most common cause of boats sinking in their slips if the thru-hull is left open.
--Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein

DaveJ

Apr 2, 2013
Thanks all for your insights, I found a thread from March 2015 that details this very nicely. From this recent thread I'll use the Raritan flex hose, this should help the issue with the tight bend at the tank. I'll also follow the suggestion to replace all hoses, the additional ones will be easy.
I'm very handy with all this stuff, but there is limited space at the tank (and our yard guy is about 120lbs wet) and thought it would be better if he did it.

Cheers

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
Thanks all for your insights, I found a thread from March 2015 that details this very nicely. From this recent thread I'll use the Raritan flex hose, this should help the issue with the tight bend at the tank. I'll also follow the suggestion to replace all hoses, the additional ones will be easy.
I'm very handy with all this stuff, but there is limited space at the tank (and our yard guy is about 120lbs wet) and thought it would be better if he did it.

Cheers
We didn't have to create any access spots to get the hose installed, but it probably depends on exactly how Catalina was building the boats that day... It was a little tight at the tank, but I don't remember it being heinous. Good luck. Take some pictures and post them for the rest of us to enjoy!

DaveJ

Apr 2, 2013
I wish it would Peggie...but there is already a 90* fitting coming out of the tank. I would have 2 fittings with about 3" of hose between them, I imagine this would be an issue at some point. Here is an image from one of the other 310 owners. Sorry I couldn't make a jpeg of it...

I actually have less room between the 90* fitting and the wall than he had...going to be tight.

Cheers

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
I'm going to put in a Raritan as soon as I can figure out how to get one to St. Thomas (might have to just buy the pump and the base and use my old bowl). So Peggy, what hose are you recommending for 1.5-inch from the head to the tank?
I replaced the W-C with a Raritan II pump and base last fall when the seals on the W-C pump failed. I re-used the W-C bowl. I'd like to have a full size bowl, but after measuring decided it would be a tight fit and intrude into the shower area. No worries, it went in easy. At the same time, I re-plumbed to intake fresh water from the sink for flush. You can get parts for the Raritan and you can service it easier than the W-C.

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
Below is the thread from 2015. If you are only going to just replace the toilet to tank hose it looks 8' will do according to rukidn. As always PaulJ did an awesome job taking pictures. :worship:

https://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/sanitation-hose-lengths.171656/

I have my new winter project, and need to do some checking as I recall I have the 90 degree elbow. I am wondering if I can get away with removing the elbow as I saw one with the Trident host that just bent up straight to the tank and if I use the Raritan SFH Peggy recommended that should make it a bit easier. It also sounds like it is easier to go from aft to forward especially if you have the 1.5" male to male connector.

So, will I need a 1.5" male to male connector and have a few questions. Is this a PVC fitting you just pick up at Lowe's? Also since the Raritan hose is butyl will PVC cement work on it?

I see PaulJ's addition of an access port but hope I can avoid that, especially by using the Raritan SFH. SBO even has it here for a pretty good price ; https://shop.sailboatowners.com/prod.php?5879 although I don't know what they mean by 8 in stock. Is that 8' or 8 lengths of some certain length?

Also since a few folks in the 2015 thread included lots of pictures I did not have to say ... :worthless:

Oct 15, 2018
Sailstar Corsair 24 Rochester, NY
How about rpwillia's question on the type of fitting...Will a 1.5" PVC Barb fitting from Lowes fit the 1.5" hose from Trident 102/102, or Raritan Saniflex? I have the a fitting with 1.5 inch barb (from Lowes) and 1.5 inch Trident 102 and WOW - I can't couple them together...I haven't tried it but I'm definitely going to have to heat things up and get the KY! Think that will work?

Apr 7, 2016
Beneteau First 305 Seward, Alaska
Well sorry, I have to disagree with you. I’ve turned wrenches my whole life on trucks and motor boats. I ventured into sailing late in life and am having a blast. Sometimes I just can’t “see” how to fix or repair something. I have the mechanical means, I just need someone to help me get there.

Last edited: