Changing sail numbers

NINEv2

Jul 21, 2020
Catalina 250 Black Hills
Hello all. I'm the new owner of a C250 and I'm starting to plot my to do list. The previous owner wasn't a fan of having the hull number on the main sail, so he changed it to "420". You can probably guess some of his other recreational activities...

I went to catalina direct and much to my relief discovered that the numbers are adhesive, rather than sewn on. Has anyone had to replace sail numbers before, and what is the best way to do so to avoid damaging the sail? Heat gun? Solvents? Any input would be most appreciated.

Aug 28, 2006
Bavaria 35E seattle
very gently with the heat gun or hair dryer. The numbers shouldn't be too hard to remove, but dacron will melt. So, go easy.

NINEv2

Jul 21, 2020
Catalina 250 Black Hills
very gently with the heat gun or hair dryer. The numbers shouldn't be too hard to remove, but dacron will melt. So, go easy.
Cool, thanks. Is there a solvent that would pick up the residue without leaving stains on the dacron?

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
Well since 4 20 is also hitlers birthday maybe it was a political statement.

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
Like many things worked on close-up but only seen at a distance - think house painting - people get very nervous about the finishing touches when no one in the world will ever notice. Relax. Then again, your boat and house prob look better than mine.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
the best option is to buy new sails. those are worn anyway. you buy a used boat, you buy new sails, it's tradition. sails only last maybe 3/4 seasons. right. think fresh

NINEv2

Jul 21, 2020
Catalina 250 Black Hills
the best option is to buy new sails. those are worn anyway. you buy a used boat, you buy new sails, it's tradition. sails only last maybe 3/4 seasons. right. think fresh
Love to, but not in this year's budget. Already have a new OB and shore power to install.