Changing Oil in Perkins Perama M20

Scott2

Sep 26, 2008
Hunter 240 Hayward, WI
does anyone have advise regarding changing oil in a Perkins Perama M20? I am trying to decide whether to suck it out of the oil dipstick housing or bleed from the sump drain. If from the sump drain, what do you use to capture the oil? thanks for your advise!

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Suck it out through the dip stick with a manual vacuum pump like one from West Marine. Simple, easy and no mess.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
If you have a drain at the bottom of the oil pan, then you should probably use it. Dip sticks are usually located in the center of the oil pan to provide an accurate measure despite the motor installation angle. However, this means that a suction hose misses the aft, lower portion of the oil sump. On my Yanmar 2QM15 I am able to insert the suction tube through the oil fill port and direct it down through the valve push rod opening in the block casting to the rear of the oil sump. There is a surprising amount of oil down there out of reach from the dip stick tube.

Jul 23, 2009
Beneteau 31 Oceanis Grand Lake, Oklahoma
I have been using the suction method on my Volvo Penta 2002, Yanmar 3YM20, the wife's VW 1.8 liter Jetta, and several small engines. I know how much oil they should hold and I make sure I remove about the same amount. The suction method won't work on all engines because the suction cannot reach the bottom of the pan, example 1.4 liter VW engine. Draining from the sump probably removes more oil and contaminants, but it makes more mess and generally requires more effort.
BTW my Yanmar does have a drain plug but getting a pan under it and then out without spilling it would be a challenge. I would probably suction out the oil and then drain the last little bit if I really wanted to get it all.

Aug 13, 2012
Catalina 270 Ottawa
You can pump out most of the oil through the dip stick tube. You may need an extra long suction tube for the vacuum pump. Make sure that you don't try to suck the oil when it is really hot - the suction tube can get stuck in the oil pan.

Btw. the Perama M20 has a special port/tube on the starboard side through which you should be able to suck all the oil. You would need to make sure that your suction tube is well sealed to that port.

On the attached picture, this is the item #10. This is a screen shot from the pdf of the manual.

2020-09-12 (2).png

Scott2

Sep 26, 2008
Hunter 240 Hayward, WI
Thank you to all responders for the advise. I appreciate it very much.