Changing antifreeze

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tim Pinkham

Hi again, I would like to change my antifreeze. I have no clue as to how to begin. Can anyone offer up a suggestion? 2002 model volvo Thanks, Tim

R

Randy Rohrbeck

Nothing to Do

Tim, Your Volvo doesn't have a separate cooling system. It just pulls fresh water from the outside (from a raw water intake located just aft of the tranmission)to cool the engine. When you winterize in the fall you'll just close the thru hull, remove the connecting hose, and suck some pink stuff into the engine. randy

T

tom

antifreeze drain

Tim From the front of the engine on left side of block You will find a petcock. Use a piece of hose and a hand pump. There is also an inline drain on one of the hoses behind the hot water heater. Do you have the manuals that came with your 310? I will be on mine tomorrow, could try and take some pics of mine if that would be of any help.

R

Randy Rohrbeck

Tom, now I'm confused.

Ok - I understand the drain for the hot water heater which is used to remove the water from the water heater before winterizing. Whats confusing me is the engine petcock. I didn't think there was a dedicated cooling system, like a car radiator, on the Volvo. Doesn't the engine cool by pulling in raw water and wouldn't any pink stuff that was put in doing the winterization process be flushed when the engine is started. So there wouldn't be any anti-freeze to change. I've had my F310 5 years now and have never changed the anti-freeze, so if thats something I should be doing I'd sure appreciate the input. Randy

T

Tom

Volvo Cooling

Randy Have had my 1991 310 since new. The standard set up was with fresh water cooling. Yours may have been changed. The heat exchanger would be a round tube mounted on the left side looking at the front of engine. There should be two drains on the water heater one in front to drain the hot water and one inline drain in the supply line from the engine to drain the coolant. Hope this helps.

T

Tim Pinkham

Pics would be great!

Yes Tom, pictures would be great! There was not a single piece of paperwork on the boat when I bought it. I have gathered what I can from the web but haven't found a howto manual that talks about changing anti-freeze. Randy our local marina recommends changing every two years. Thanks, Tim

C

Capt. Marc

Raw or Freshwater...

cooling, that is the question! Randy, If your engine has a plastic reservoir (a white plastic tank) on your engine, it has fresh water cooling. If not, your engine is "raw water" cooled. Volvo model 2003 engines are available with both set ups. The 2002's are probably similar. BTW, if you have raw water cooling, check your zincs!!!! Good Luck, Marc

J

John Kosmalski

This website should help

Go to www.beneteau-owners.com and you can find the manual for your Volvo in the library section., which you can download with Adobe acrobat. this website has many excellent resources. John

Status
Not open for further replies.