Changed Windlass to Maxwell VW500

Mar 8, 2011
Catalina 310 Oriental, NC
Anybody upgraded your VC500 windlass to the VW500?
Would like to go all chain, trying to find a way.
Thanks

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
If someone did do this, I'd like to see a detailed "how-to" article!

Jan 17, 2013
Catalina 310 St. Simons Island, GA
Have considered this but for now just went to 35 ft of chain instead. May use my windlass for the chain until it wears out.

paulj

Mar 16, 2007
Catalina 310 Anacortes,Wa

This is what I use.....just a thought.:stupid:

Have 58 feet of chain and 216 feet of line connected ............setup still works after 9 years.

Windlass still looks good.

paulj
:hook2:

Attachments

Jan 17, 2013
Paul,
I'm actually not saying anything. Am just asking if you use the windlass to retrieve chain? The standard VC500 windlass is designed for rode not chain. Switching to a VVC500is expensive and not easy but that version is designed to retrieve rode and a specific chain size. I spoke with a dealer who suggested i use my current windlass (VC500) for retrieving chain and that it would probably work for a while and that after I trashed the windlass using it for chain then it could be replaced. My question for you was if that is what you are doing and if so how does it work?

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
I'm with Paulj. I use my VC500 for both chain and nylon rode. I just do two wraps around the cap stand and haul up as I depress the switch with my foot. I do this hauling up 60 feet of 5/8 G4 chain and a 35 pound Manson Supreme.

Works great for us.

By the way I will be in GA late next week I think. If you are near the ICW I would love to see hull no. 1.

Good luck and fair winds.

Jesse

Jan 17, 2013
Jesse,
Thanks for the confirmation because that is what I am going to begin doing with my windlass. We are at Morningstar Marina in St. Simons very close to the ICW and will be there the weekends of Dec 5 and Dec 12. Only live an hour away from there so I can also get there during the week pretty easily. Let me know your schedule and maybe we can meet up. Would also like my wife to meet someone living aboard a 310...:)
bob

Mar 8, 2011
I'm with Paulj. I use my VC500 for both chain and nylon rode. I just do two wraps around the cap stand and haul up as I depress the switch with my foot. I do this hauling up 60 feet of 5/8 G4 chain and a 35 pound Manson Supreme.

Works great for us.

By the way I will be in GA late next week I think. If you are near the ICW I would love to see hull no. 1.

Good luck and fair winds.

Jesse
Hey Jesse,
Are you using all chain? if not; what's lft of chain and rode?
Thanks

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Hey Jesse,
Are you using all chain? if not; what's lft of chain and rode?
Thanks
We are currently running 60 feet of chain and 240 feet of nylon 3 strand.

We are thinking about going to 90 feet of chain before we make the jump to the Bahamas. I don't think the C310 can carry all chain plus a danforth anchor with rode in the bow locker without having too much weight in the nose. We have played around by added weight up there and I think 90 feet is the most you can add without compromising the sailing characteristics. Plus the only point of chain is chafe protection. We have found that we very rarely anchor in more than 15 feet. So 90 feet of chain will keep the 3 strand off of the bottom. Most of the time we have out less than 90 feet total rode while doing the ICW.

Most of the cruisers we talk to admit that carrying all chain is a bit of a waste of weight. You seldom anchor in over 15 feet and more often than not the anchorages are too tight for anything more than 5 to 1. If you do get in a blow (and we have been in a bunch of blows over 35 knots and a few over 50 knots) your rode is bar tight so the chafe protection doesn't matter as much. Plus when it's blowing like that having the stretch of the nylon is very helpful. That's actually a big part of being comfortable period. Chain has no stretch and is jerky to be on in anything over 15 knots of wind.

On a side note, we are using the Mantus anchor hook and really like it. Best way I have found yet to connect to the chain with a snubber.

Fair winds,

Jesse

By the way, sorry we missed you when we passed through Oriental. Would have loved to check out another C310.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Jesse,
Thanks for the confirmation because that is what I am going to begin doing with my windlass. We are at Morningstar Marina in St. Simons very close to the ICW and will be there the weekends of Dec 5 and Dec 12. Only live an hour away from there so I can also get there during the week pretty easily. Let me know your schedule and maybe we can meet up. Would also like my wife to meet someone living aboard a 310...:)
bob
Cool, when we know our plan better I will PM you. We are Beaufort, SC right now doing some projects at Lady's Island Marina. Hopefully we are leaving mid next week.

Mar 8, 2011
We are currently running 60 feet of chain and 240 feet of nylon 3 strand.

We are thinking about going to 90 feet of chain before we make the jump to the Bahamas. I don't think the C310 can carry all chain plus a danforth anchor with rode in the bow locker without having too much weight in the nose. We have played around by added weight up there and I think 90 feet is the most you can add without compromising the sailing characteristics. Plus the only point of chain is chafe protection. We have found that we very rarely anchor in more than 15 feet. So 90 feet of chain will keep the 3 strand off of the bottom. Most of the time we have out less than 90 feet total rode while doing the ICW.

Most of the cruisers we talk to admit that carrying all chain is a bit of a waste of weight. You seldom anchor in over 15 feet and more often than not the anchorages are too tight for anything more than 5 to 1. If you do get in a blow (and we have been in a bunch of blows over 35 knots and a few over 50 knots) your rode is bar tight so the chafe protection doesn't matter as much. Plus when it's blowing like that having the stretch of the nylon is very helpful. That's actually a big part of being comfortable period. Chain has no stretch and is jerky to be on in anything over 15 knots of wind.

On a side note, we are using the Mantus anchor hook and really like it. Best way I have found yet to connect to the chain with a snubber.

Fair winds,

Jesse

By the way, sorry we missed you when we passed through Oriental. Would have loved to check out another C310.
Hey Jesse,

Would have been nice to see how you have worked out storage and compare notes.
Maybe on your way back North or my way South in a couple years.
Keep her at Pecan Grove Marina in Oriental; just across from Village.
Thanks for the Information.
Have Fun and stay safe.