Change the antenna coax for the Radio in my Mast

Jun 1, 2016
Hunter 28.5 Lake City, MN
I have a 1988 Hunter 28.5.

I took my antenna analyzer to my boat to measure the antenna match on the VHF radio today and found that the SWR is about 4:1 (too high!).
I have a record from a few years ago where it was 1.2:1 (very low, as it should be).
(I'm an old time ham radio operator, so I know about radios, coax & antennas.)

I strongly suspect that the coax has gone bad, and I'd like to change it. I'll probably use RG-400 (Teflon) coax.
I can see where the old coax goes up the bottom of the mast support tube near the bilge pump at the base. There is some black plastic wire loom around it and the other mast wires.
What I'd like to do is to cut the coax there, solder onto the new coax and pull it up. But my concern is that it may be tied off in a bundle with some other wires inside the mast.

Do I need to drop the mast?
Is anyone familiar with pulling up a new coax?
One more question: Do they use standard UHF connectors (PL259) at the antenna?

Thanks,
Sir Michael

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
I pulled a new coax cable thru the mast several years ago. Soldered a new amphenol connector for the antenna connector on a new cable and had a rigger atop the mast cut the old antenna connector from the old cable. He spliced the old and new cable ends together using wipping twine and tape. He pushed the new cable into the top of the mast and I pulled the old cable from the bottom of the mast. Then pulled the old & new cable thru the deck clamshells and thru the headliner to the VHF. Soldered the VHF connector to the end of new cable inside the cabin. No need to pull the mast, at least in my case.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Do they use standard UHF connectors (PL259) at the antenna?
Depends on who “they” is - some VHF antennas use N type connectors. Best to check make/model of your antenna or take a trip up the mast (which you will need to do anyway to install the new coax).