change steering wheel hunter 29.5

Apr 14, 2021
Hunter 29,5 Santiago de la Ribera Mar Meno
Buenos días a todos los marineros de este gran foro de cazadores. He adquirido la pieza de repuesto para cambiar mi vieja rueda motriz en un hunter 29.5 de 1995. Mi pregunta es si la operación se puede hacer sin sacar la embarcación del agua porque no puedo adivinar cómo se coloca el timón, agradecería mucho las indicaciones de cualquier propietario que arrojara un poco de luz sobre este tema, muchas gracias. mucho y un cordial saludo.

---------

Good morning to all the sailors of this great hunters forum. I have purchased the spare part to change my old sprocket on a hunter 29.5 from 1995. My question is if the operation can be done without taking the boat out of the water because I cannot guess how the rudder is positioned, I would greatly appreciate the indications of any owner to shed some light on this, thank you very much. a lot and a cordial greeting.

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
Buenos días a todos los marineros de este gran foro de cazadores. He adquirido la pieza de repuesto para cambiar mi vieja rueda motriz en un hunter 29.5 de 1995. Mi pregunta es si la operación se puede hacer sin sacar la embarcación del agua porque no puedo adivinar cómo se coloca el timón, agradecería mucho las indicaciones de cualquier propietario que arrojara un poco de luz sobre este tema, muchas gracias. mucho y un cordial saludo.
Good morning to all the sailors of this great hunters forum. I have purchased the spare part to change my old sprocket on a hunter 29.5 from 1995. My question is if the operation can be done without taking the boat out of the water because I cannot guess how the rudder is positioned, I would greatly appreciate the indications of any owner to shed some light on this, thank you very much. a lot and a cordial greeting.

Apr 14, 2021
Disculpar que para expresarme tenga que utilizar el traductor de google que no siempre obedece al pie de la letra ,de hecho mi pregunta era si el timón en un hunter 29,5 va sujeto por el perno que atraviesa la rueda de dirección, porque si es asi solo se puede cambiar fuera del agua,es correcto? muchisimas gracias .

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
Disculpar que para expresarme tenga que utilizar el traductor de google que no siempre obedece al pie de la letra ,de hecho mi pregunta era si el timón en un hunter 29,5 va sujeto por el perno que atraviesa la rueda de dirección, porque si es asi solo se puede cambiar fuera del agua,es correcto? muchisimas gracias .
Excuse me that to express myself I have to use the google translator that does not always obey the letter, in fact my question was if the rudder in a hunter 29.5 is held by the bolt that goes through the steering wheel, because if it is so it can only be changed out of water, is that correct? thanks a lot .

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
If you have a traditional helm, the bolt through the wheel serves only to secure the wheel to the pedestal. So yes, you would likely only be able to change the rudder out of the water. If I'm incorrect, others will be quick to correct me. :beer:

Apr 14, 2021
perdona que creo que no nos hemos entendido yo lo que quiero cambiar es solo la rueda ,NO el timon, por eso preguntaba si al quitar el perno se cae el timon ,el barco ahora esta en el agua

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
perdona que creo que no nos hemos entendido yo lo que quiero cambiar es solo la rueda ,NO el timon, por eso preguntaba si al quitar el perno se cae el timon ,el barco ahora esta en el agua
Sorry, I think we have not understood each other, what I want to change is only the wheel, NOT the rudder, that is why I asked if the rudder falls off when removing the bolt, the boat is now in the water

Apr 14, 2021
Ahora si que me queda claro puedo cambiar la rueda con el barco en el agua, sabrias decirme como va sujeto el eje del timón pues no acierto a ver ni en el dibujo que hace que no se caiga muchísimas gracias otra vez y perdona por la dificultad del idioma:beer::beer:

Attachments

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
Ahora si que me queda claro puedo cambiar la rueda con el barco en el agua, sabrias decirme como va sujeto el eje del timón pues no acierto a ver ni en el dibujo que hace que no se caiga muchísimas gracias otra vez y perdona por la dificultad del idioma
Now if it is clear to me I can change the wheel with the boat in the water, you could tell me how the rudder shaft is attached because I can not see or in the drawing that it does not fall, thank you very much again and forgive for the difficulty from language

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
At the top of rudder in the drawing you posted is what's called the steering quadrant. It's the mechanical bit that the rudder cables are attached to - and the rudder stops are pointed out as well. Although not clear from the drawing, there should be something above or below the quadrant (a collar) that keeps the rudder from falling into the water. Hope this description is helpful.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Yes, removing the wheel is safe to do. The rudder will not fall off. But your wheel might be stuck on the wheel post. You may need a wheel puller to remove. I do not have a Hunter but I do have wheel steering. My wheel was stuck and needed a wheel puller to remove.

Good luck.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Yes, removing the wheel is safe to do. The rudder will not fall off. But your wheel might be stuck on the wheel post. You may need a wheel puller to remove. I do not have a Hunter but I do have wheel steering. My wheel was stuck and needed a wheel puller to remove.

Good luck.
Estoy de aquerdo con @Brian D - tu rueda necesitará un extractor de rueda para quitarla. Al menos, yo no he visto a una rueda - pues uno que no se quita todo el tiempo - salirse fácilmente por primera vez.

dj

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
I agree with @Brian D - your wheel will need a wheel puller to remove it. At least I haven't seen a wheel - well one that doesn't come off all the time - come off easily for the first time.

Last edited:

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
My wheel comes off very easily - have never needed a wheel puller.
Lucky for you. But wouldn't one rather have all the tools available rather than hope for the best? Better to have a wheel puller at hand ready to go and not need it than to be there trying to get the wheel off and having to then go find a wheel puller. At least that's how I see it ...

I'm guessing you used Google translate for my post? I'm laughing how it translated the first part - I'm hooked in Brian... LOL...

The correct translation is I agree with Brian...

The wheel on my boat goes on and off easily also, but it's removed every year...

The OP's boat is over 25 years old. If that wheel has never been taken off I think the likelyhood of that wheel just slipping off is low. Might happen... My crystal ball is broken...

dj