Change of sails

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mary

For those of you who might race either in regatta's or the weekly beer can race from your club - are you stillusing the original hunter sails? Or have you upgraded and to what. We have a Hunter 290 and are considering an asymetrical spinnaker to can with some speed coming home.

L

Les Blackwell

Have used both...

Mary, Your question brought back many memories. I did race a Hunter 35.5 for a little over five years and we did well in our class and against other divisions in each of those years. One year we won "Boat of the Year" to which several on this board are probably tired of hearing about it. When we won "the Boat..." title we used stock sails from UK. They were made in Hong Kong or ??? but off shore. It was a big main and a 110 jib--might have been as big as a 115--I never measure it. They were good but not spectacular. I've always longed for plastic sails so after winning the title, I bought a 150 plastic jib from UK and a used symetical chute. The spinnaker was old but useable. I almost forgot, I also had a asymetical chute from UK but we always had trouble with it and no one from around here from UK would come to look it over. That is why I bought the used spinnaker from a local sailmaker. 400 bucks total. My analysis is that the 150 killed us. We could point as high and except in light airs I think it hurt more than it helped. It disrupted the main too much If I were to buy today, I'd get a new plastic 110 instead and I don't know from whom. I like UK but I don't like their dealer or service in this area. I like Doyle and think they would be first choice but I would want to look around. Evan North is beginning to look good again. I now use an asymetical chute for cruising which I bought from Doyle with the APC sock. It is much better than the one we had from UK. Most of the racers are going with asymetrical chutes it seems like in recent years. It you are going to get serious about racing I would replace all standard sails with plastic one. Your boat will go much faster. And I would replace your prop with a 2 blade Max prop. That will also help. I think your boat is a fast boat--you should do well. If you have more questions, let me know. Les H380 Trumpeter Sailing our of Bellingham, WA

S

Steve

As $$$ permit...

As funds permit, I am adding to the sail inventory. I bought a ASM when I bought the boat (320, and the ASM through HOW). I also bought a 125 light air jib at the beginning of this season. I still use the main and 110 jib that came with the boat. The 125 helps, but the folding prop made the biggest difference. Just a note: the sailmaker blew one of the measurements for the 125, so we came up with a temporary block/rail setup to make it work. The temp setup worked so well that I most likely will be putting tracks on the outside deck this winter. That will allow a 155 to be used for very light air. The sailmaker will make it for just the trade in for the 125. The ASM helps downwind, but I only use it for long races. Still JAM on the short ones. I do well if the wind is between 12-18 knots. Also, I am interested in the jib boom as mentioned in the article in last month's Sail. It might be better than a new track and a 125. Steve

A

Alan Orr

New Sails

I race my 35.5 on Long Island Sound as a member of the YRA-LIS. The sails that came with ALL of our boats were good as delivery sails or daysailing but if you want to race you need GOOD sails! Sails are the engine that makes the beast go. I have a complete inventory of kevlar and mylar sails for all wind ranges to 35 knots. I've included a picture of my boat with a reefed main and blade jib #3 in 25kts. This photo was taken during the Around Long Island Regatta which we won our division, although we rated the slowest boat!

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
Alan - Good Looking Picture!

Alllll riiiiiiight! That's a picture that'd look really good hanging on the wall.

R

Rod

New Sails

Mary, most delievery sails aren't designed for racing, they usually have a deep cut and are short on host & size. I have had a 31 and 45 Hunter and both Boats have raced great. But, I replaced and added sails. Both boats love sailing with a 155% head sail. When the wind pipes up we put up a smaller head sail before reefing the main. It seems any time you reef the main you loose your pointing ability, If your on a windward race course. Yes both boats are fast if sailed & Equip right. We just won boat of the year with the 45 and that was racing boats like J's, Beneteau's and Tripp's. Unfortunitly my sail inventory isn't real good on the 45 somethimg to do with the cost of them. Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.