Change my boat name

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 18, 2010
Morgan Catalina 45 CC Kemah
Hi.
I've just bought a Morgan 45 cc but it has a crappy name.
The boat is being kept in Texas, USA. I will change the name but do I need to do it officially?
Thanks.:)

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
Hi.
I've just bought a Morgan 45 cc but it has a crappy name.
The boat is being kept in Texas, USA. I will change the name but do I need to do it officially?
Thanks.:)
Is the boat documented?
More importantly you must do it without offending the gods. ;)

Sep 25, 2008
C30 Event Horizon Port Aransas
I changed the name of my boat and the deepwater horizon exploded. I think the only way to stop the oil from gushing is to change it back. I am going to wait until August before I do it though.

Jun 6, 2004
Catalina 38 San Francisco Bay
When I bought my boat, the PO said I couldn't have the name as it was honoring her mother, so we did the entire Vigor renaming ceremony with some added honors and tributes to the God's ..... The only time I have EVER been boarded by the CG was when we were sailing without the new name!!!
Soooooo ..... be careful ... be very very careful!!!

Dec 1, 1999
Hunter 28.5 Chesapeake Bay
Over 30+years of sailling, I've owned 5 used sailboats. I only changed the name on one of these boats. That boat was totaled in Hurricane Isabel a few weeks later. I no longer change names on boats....:)

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37 C sloop Punta Gorda FL
You need 2 ceremonies. Both an unnaming ceremony with lots and lots of adult beverages for all your friends and then afer a suitable interval, a naming ceremony again with lots of adult beverages. Then your boat will be fine, no Boardings, no damage.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Do not be fooled by false ceremonies

There is only one method that is safe for re-naming your boat. You have to sail the boat backwards across the equator while offering tribute to Neptune. All these other ceremonies are false and will bring permanent bad luck. So take your new used boat and get out there and let us know how it works out for you.

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
It is my belief that if you rename a boat that has a crappy name, both Neptune and the boat will thank you and behave better towards you. Provided you don't give it a crappy new name of course. Also the hull should be waxed and polished after the old name is off and before the new one goes on so the boat knows you are serious about maintaining her.

Leenie

Jun 1, 2010
Cal sail cruiser Milford
Hey Marty. Aren't you glad you asked!!!?
My brother fell ill and gave me his boat. She was called Runaround Sue after his first wife. His second wife and I agree that a name change was in order and we researched the ceremony and christened her Free Spirit. She's performed wonderfully for 3 years and the care she gets is second to none. She and I wouldn't have it any other way. Good luck!

Oct 28, 2008
none none LA
Marty - here is a link to the renaming ceremony I have used. My advise is to make the ceremony part of a fun party. http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/rename.htm
From that page:

This is an involved process beginning with the removal or obliteration of every trace of the boat’s current identity. This is essential and must be done thoroughly.

I once went through the ceremony after the owner had assured me that every reference to his boat’s old name had been purged from her. A couple of weeks later, he discovered he had missed a faded name on her floating key chain. I advised him to start over, perhaps with a little extra libation for the ruler of the sea. Unfortunately, he declined.

Since then, his boat has been struck by lightning, had its engine ruined by the ingress of the sea, been damaged by collision and finally sunk! It pays to be thorough.

When we first bought our boat, we found reams of paperwork (Coast Guard documentation, old surveys, etc.) with not only the previous name, but the name before that as well, all had been kept aboard for all those years!

I don't know if the previous owners encountered any bad luck as a result, but just for the record, we did the full de-naming and re-naming ceremony.

--Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.