Chance it or replace

Feb 11, 2017
Hunter 41 DS Riviere Sens
Surya, a 41 DS, is 10 years old next month, and I am having suggestions out here that the insurance company won’t pay if, God forbid, the mast should fail unless I have he rigging changed.
I have asked the insurance company and they say they have no specific requirements other than that the boat should conform to the manufacturers requirements. The manufacturer won’t offer any opinion as Hunter as Marlow won't offer assistance in respect of boats made before their involvement.
So, do I take the chance and leave it or renew? I have heard horror stories out here (I live in Guadeloupe) about replacement rigging failing as it is made from Chinese s/s instead of German. which is reputedly the best. Not sure if that is not just prejudiced opinion though.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
My rigging is also over ten years but everything looks great and you could have a rigger
look at how it.
Nick

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
My rigging is 30 years old (or pretty close). I don’t know if any previous owners replaced the standing rigging before I purchased her about 5 years ago.

Mind you, she is a fairly inexpensive boat and only gets Day sailed.

I do check the rigging annually.

I have never heard of a prescribed maintenance plan required to keep your insurance.

Greg

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
I have heard nothing on this site saying that Hunter standing rigging has any issue compared to other makes.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
At 16 years old I had my rigger closely inspect all of my rigging and give me an recommendation. The mast was down for another project. My rigger examined all of my rigging with a high magnification lens. I asked about magna-flux and he told me that he would have that done for me but that in his experience magna-fluxing the rigging did not yield a better evaluation than a high magnification visual inspection.
I was perfectly willing to spend whatever bucks to replace, but my rigger told me that everything was in fine shape and I would be good for another 15 years. He added that he would personally have no hesitation about sailing on my boat with this rigging.
I don't race; I only cruise. I am in salt water in a northern climate. My rigger told me that rigging replacement is more dependent upon severity of usage, climate, and fresh water or salt water, rather than just time in service.
I took his recommendation and did not replace. YMMV.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
"Usually" the failures start at the swedge fitting lip where the wire goes in, and "usually" first on the upward looking fittings (wire inserted into an upward looking hole) .. A good magnifying lens and a little experience really goes a long way in detecting a problem.. and "usually" again, there is some trace of rust staining on a fitting that is in early stages of failing..

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Solid plan and process @Rich Stidger . :plus:.
All of the statements are consistent with my understanding of rigging and it’s management.

As @kloudie1 states the often point of failure is with the swage wire connection. I conjecture that often it is the way the swage is formed. A strand or two of wire is damaged during the swage process. It takes time but eventually the strand breaks and the unaware boater discovers it when they learn the meaning of ‘meat hook’.

I consider the 7-10 year period to be a good time frame become observant of the rigging and to have it inspected. Salt water, racing, and heavy weather cruising all test the rigging. If your day sailing in your local bay your risks are often lower than if your headed across an ocean. Your preparation and inspections should take these varying conditions into account.

Good for you Rich that you passed the inspection.:beer:

Last edited:

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
+1 Rich S. 24 year-old rigging. I have had it inspected by a rigger twice in the last ten years. He did not find any reason to replace it. He did say the rigging is top quality and US sourced.

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 410 Punta Gorda
Had my 2000 410 inspected by a rigger this past spring. He said everything was fine. But if he had to do an "insurance" inspection he would have to say the rigging needed replacement just because of age. He also suggest putting bees wax on the lower fittings to keep water out of the wire to fitting joint. I did and it appears to be working.

Jul 19, 2007
-Hunter 1995-40.5 Hunter Saint Andrews, New Brunswick, Canada
Just dropped the stick on our 1995 - 40.5 today on my self imposed three year inspection schedule. A close inspection of the swages at both the turnbuckle and ball ends of all the stays revealed no rusting or cracking. All the chain plates look good as well. Now time to dismantle the rig and get it wrapped for a Maine winter. I hate the word "WINTER".

Jan 12, 2011
Hunter 410 full time cruiser
Had my 2000 410 inspected by a rigger this past spring. He said everything was fine. But if he had to do an "insurance" inspection he would have to say the rigging needed replacement just because of age.
That sounds like a load of crap. What is the point of having an inspection if the rgger is just going to say it needs replacement because of age?

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
My h34 rigging was about 30 plus years old when I replaced it.
I inspected every season and took extremely good care of the rig.
Lot of factors to consider. Where is boat used, Florida for example much harsher conditions then say on a freshwater lake. How is it used day sailing or long distance cruising, is the boat raced? All these things have to be considered with the stress on your rig.

I changed out my rig basically just to give me peace of mind.
I sent out my rigging to Seacost south to be duplicated and there rigger told me that my rigging look perfectly ok however I changed it out anyway.