Champlain canal

jon

Nov 18, 2008
Newport Newport 16 South Haven MI
We're seriously looking at a cruise up the Hudson in Muskrat to Lake Champlain and then maybe the Great Lakes- we'll do this over the coming summers.

I figure you might know something about Champlain Tom! Did you truck or motor/sail Christmas to Maine? We have talked to people on the lake who say the marinas at each end of the canal are great about unstepping/stepping mast and the gear is there to use for stowing spars on deck but I'm not sure how many deal with the weight of a 48' sitka spruce stick----

Any thoughts? Our son Ben lives in Weybridge (suburb of Middlebury) so it would be fun to visit. Is the lake as fun to cruise as we read about?

Jon

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Hi Jon. It sure is! We haven't found many places that are more beautiful than Lake Champlain. I've made the trip twice in our last boat, a Cape Dory 28. I'd do it in Christmas no problem. The mast would take some thinking though. We used some simple cranes that were available to step and unstep, but with your stick, you'd want a good marina to do the work at each end.

Certainly wait for Charlotte or Shelburne Vermont on the lake end. Somewhere convenient not too far up the Hudson too.

I'd spend some time designing and building some stout supports. You're apt to get hit with as big a wave(from a big working boat) on that route as you'll ever see(I'll never forget one...). The kind that when it hits you on the beam (if you're at a dock or anchored), the whole bottom falls out from under the boat. But I don't see why you couldn't figure it out. Well lashed down, like you mean it. You'll want good headroom under.

The next thing is making sure it's protected at the mast head. The locks can have some odd currents (you're aware of most of this I'm sure with what you do). I do remember our masthead hitting the lock wall once.

The stick can be an asset on the week or more you'll meander up the Hudson and canals. Place to drape a bimini for rain or sun. The trip is great fun, scenic, low stress.

You'll love the Lake for sailing, swimming and exploring. I've not been up, but they say Otter Creek to Vergennes is fun, and it's not far from your son in Weybridge. What's he doing up there?

I've not gone into the Great Lakes. What is your plan there?

On the other hand, on our first trip down south from Vermont that way, we shipped the 28'er back from Fla. Cheapest trip we ever made up or down the coast with a boat.

jon

Nov 18, 2008
We really have no plans as yet- just dreaming while the slush melts. I think we'd try for a marina near Albany to pull the sticks to reduce the big wake factor going up the Hudson. We talked to one family in Essex NY who were on their 2nd cruise to Champlain. The first time they went north out of the lake to the seaway and then wintered in Beddeck on Cape Breton. The Brador (sp) lakes are beautiful as well.

For the lakes I think the Eire canal to Buffalo or branch up the Oswego canal to Lake Ontario. From there I have no idea! I've just seen in Good Old Boat some great looking places that would be fun to check out. Definately a few seasons involved!

Ben is working in Burlington for a software company, Dealers.com.

Jul 26, 2010
Greetings from Hudson River. I am in woods near New Paltz, still knee deep in a Challenger refit, but sailing on a Benateau out of Kingston. If you come up the Hudson and stop nearby, I'd love to meet you and see your boat. I am still collecting ideas for cabin, windlass install, storage, everything.

give me a call or email.

all the best

Joe Hayes
joe@weber-hayes.com

jon

Nov 18, 2008
We will definately keep you posted- not sure when this will all happen...