Challenger: yawl vs. sloop rig

LorneB

Oct 14, 2021
Alden Challenger n/a
I've just joined this forum and would be interested to hear if any other member knows why so many of the Challengers are rigged as yawls rather than sloops. If anyone knows something of the early history of Isoletta (#949OO), sloop-rigged, that would be useful. She was in Portugal in 2007, and since then based W. Coast Scotland: but the Alden Designs listing suggests that she may have spent time in Argentina at some stage. Her name then may have been "Mock Turtle".
Hoping to hear some views/get some more info.
Thanks
Lorne

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Welcome to the forum!!

Are you referring to Challenger's produced by Challenger Yachts Corp located at Wilmington CA SailboatData.com - Sailboat built by Challenger Yachts Corp ? If so, some were reportedly sloops and others were cutters or a ketch. This thread highlights that some Challenger 40's were sloops and others a ketch Challenger 40..... A good foundation? | SailNet Community

Interesting boat!! The 1970 Alden 39 "Isoletta" is a sloop rigged classic design 1970 Alden 39 Antique and Classic for sale - YachtWorld AND Michael Schmidt & Partner – 1970 Alden 39 for sale. To find the boat ownership history suggest a title search. Did that prior to my last boat purchase and discovered the boat originated in Seattle then down to Long Beach, up to Portland and finally down to San Francisco.

Last edited:
May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
CCA racing rules were such that you got a nice advantage racing with a yawl rig. flying mizzen staysails had no penalty
for cruising, having a yawl rig gives you more options to deal with different winds and waves.

in a hard beat, the sloop will be slightly better

then, most modern sailors don't know how to sail a yawl well and will then claim they are slower. i beg to differ ;)

i have had an Alden caravelle yawl for 48 seasons. love the yawl rig i have.

1634320514430.png

lets talk all things alden:cool:

Last edited:

LorneB

Oct 14, 2021
Alden Challenger n/a
CCA racing rules were such that you got a nice advantage racing with a yawl rig. flying mizzen staysails had no penalty
for cruising, having a yawl rig gives you more options to deal with different winds and waves.

in a hard beat, the sloop will be slightly better

then, most modern sailors don't know how to sail a yawl well and will then claim they are slower. i beg to differ ;)

i have had an Alden caravelle yawl for 48 seasons. love the yawl rig i have.

View attachment 199299

lets talk all things alden:cool:
Thanks Jon, fully understood: I've sailed a (famous design) yawl a few times, with the owner claiming that the mizzen isn't much use.

Lorne

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
my main mast is 4' shorter than the sloop rig. my main mast is about 18" father forward than the sloop

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Thanks Jon, fully understood: I've sailed a (famous design) yawl a few times, with the owner claiming that the mizzen isn't much use.

Lorne
That's not too unusual. I've talked to more than one owner of a centerboard boat that doesn't 'feel' a difference in using the board. You don't feel it, you see it in increase of your course to windward. And a mizzen is useful if you know how to utilize it. In either case, they don't get it.

Welcome! Did you buy the Alden? We have an Alden and all around expert yacht historian, Iain McAllister. He's done much of the research on these boats and may stop in at some point with some knowledge of #949OO.