Challenger Trans-Atlantic

Dec 17, 2006
Just found this website. Enjoyed reading the tech info and various reports. We will continue to follow the site postings.

We have just completed a trans-Atlantic. The boat is in Portugal awaiting a return this Spring. We have kept a website to keep family & friends updated (Fleana.com).

Dan Cassidy
s/v Fleana
Bangor, Maine
Fleana.com

CaravelaofExe

Alden Forum Moderator
Jan 24, 2006
Alden Caravelle 42 / Northern European waters
Enjoyed looking at your web site Dan: what a wonderful adventure. I’m familiar with many of your ports of call and the Scottish part found me quite homesick; beautiful photographs – nice to know it is still possible to have an anchorage to oneself up there.

I’m hoping to sail my Alden Caravelle (bought in Lagos, Portugal!) from Denmark to the west coast of Scotland (a return for me but not her) for the Clyde Cruising Club’s centenary celebrations in 2010.

I’m compiling a register of the early Alden Fibreglass output (Challengers, Zephyrs, Mistrals and Caravelles). Do you know her Alden design number and original name? Somewhere on your site you say that 56 were built but I’ve so far been able to account for only 46… My last design number is 949VV.

I’ll post my latest version soon and invite input. It’s minus owners names, past and present, and so shouldn’t cause anyone to fret - after all we’re just caretakers – but should hopefully establish some sort of provenance where required.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Wonderful that you have found us Dan.

I've just begun to read your site and have book marked it. What an adventure!

I believe we have seen your Challenger in Bucks Harbor the past few years? Also, we may have corresponded a few years back about chain plate repairs?

Please keep us informed of your cruise, it's wonderful information for me so far. Tom Young