Challenger info.

doug

Mar 13, 2007
com-pac 16 deltaville
Hi folks,

I'm new to this forum so first, allow me to introduce myself. My name is Doug and I live just outisde of Portland,Maine. Currently, I own a 32' Downeast style, wooden power boat launched in 1952 by the name of 'Driftwood'. My daughter caught the sailing bug last year so we'll be looking to find Driftwood a new home while we search for a sailboat. BTW, I'm a sailor going way back (owned a nice little Bridges Point 24 sloop prior to my power boat foray)...just took some time off to play with the current boat.

Anyway, I love the look of the Challenger and would like to learn more about them. I suspect I could purchase some of this stuff from Alden but would like to know if construction details, sailplan, accommodation plan documents etc. are lurking about in the public domain. I've poked around the forum a bit but didn't see anything. Perhaps I missed something? I'd also appreciate hearing your thoughts on how these boats perform, both in light air and in a good blow.

Thanks in advance.

Doug

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Hi Doug, things are a bit slow here.

It's never lively but spring will pick things up. I live in Rockport Maine just up the coast 2 hours. This is the best source for all things Challenger. Alden does have all the drawings still on file, I picked up a few including the sail plan. I also have a CAD drawing I did to scale of our interior but can only email it to you, it's in jpeg format.

With your knowhow of wooden boats, a Challenger would be a comfortable boat for you as far as maintainence goes. They're are a little tricky with a few oddities. After 7 years, ours is still a delight to own and maintain (I enjoy most of the work, just wish I had more time).

A very good sailer I think. Good SA/D of nearly 17 and fairly easy to single hand but we are usually a family of four onboard. It has a good old style layout below with 2 settes and 2 pilot berths and centerline table. Large head and vee berth with lots of storage. I like the galley which runs athwartship below the companionway, nav station on the icebox top.

I think a worthwhile summation is the one Beiser did in his 60's book Proper Yacht. He described it well when he said it's big enough to be a real boat with the space to match above and below decks, and not a smidge more.

I hope this helps. Tom in Rockport Maine

doug

Mar 13, 2007
com-pac 16 deltaville
Thanks for your reply Tom. Think I'll check in with the folks at Alden and see what kind of documents I can get my hands on so I can learn more about these boats.

Good to hear that the Challenger is fairly easy to single hand as I enjoy that, although I've not done this in a boat this size. Most of our sailing would be day sails with some occasional coastal cruising. The boat looks to be particularly well suited for the latter.

BTW, 'Christmas' is a beauty. I've enjoyed looking at the photos of her on this forum and it's clear that you take pride in taking good care of her.

-Doug

Feb 1, 2006
I've never sailed on a Challenger (but I'm still young). Points in their favor: impeccable pedigree, good write-up in Beiser and other sources of the day.

You can get a sense of how they sail by comparing their PHRF with boats you know. I recall that they're about as quick as a Hinckley B40. The B40s are not owned for their racing behavior but for their grace; ditto the Challengers.

Get on John Holtrup's site and make some comparisons: http://hawaii-marine.com/templates/Prod ... iption.htm Very interesting!

another Doug
North East 38 MkIII (PHRF of 155)

Whit

Sep 13, 2004
Hunter 30_88-94 New Orleans LA
In comparison, a J-24 weights in at 165 vs. Challenger 155PHRF - NE.
Must be waterline.