Challenger in Yachting World Annual 1961

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
That's a terrific find Iain. I copied it to my files. It's of great historical value for our boats of this era. And to see the UK was slightly more traditional at the time than the US in accepting the new "glass fibre" boats. It also offers a glimpse into their construction. The writer describes the building of the Challenger as a wooden boat simply using glass pieces instead of wood.

Thanks.

CaravelaofExe

Alden Forum Moderator
Jan 24, 2006
Alden Caravelle 42 / Northern European waters
Probably wishful thinking on the part of the author, who was most probably horrified by the whole process, that yet ended up with an unarguably fine vessel.

It is interesting that despite the fact that Halmatic set themselves up for production of large GRP hulls it did take a long time for British buyers of larger yachts to get into/ accept GRP.

CaravelaofExe

Alden Forum Moderator
Jan 24, 2006
Alden Caravelle 42 / Northern European waters
Try clicking on the images.

Send me a PM to remind me of your email address and I'll attach larger files to an email (will send to you too Tom). To be honest, because of the dots the two photos don't get much better than the larger size on the board here, which you can copy to your computer if a PC with left click to enlarge, right click and then left click on "Save Image As" . Can't remember how that's done on a Mac.

There does seem to be a window missing. I think that photo was retouched (badly) to show the windows: note the uneven size of the larger ones and the just barely seen forward one.

Other things I noticed were: what seem to be the toggles and lower-thread part of turnbuckles for the double forestays; apparently no hole in aft cockpit locker box for mizzen - so probably built as a sloop - so could be narrowed down to being 949ZZ, now CARITAS, ex Adventure, ex Starlite II, ex Black Mallard? And staging that would give a health and safety executive a heart attack in Europe these days.