Challenger forepeaks, are they all like this?

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
A nice big space up there due to the long overhang and spoon bow. Having a bow watertank under the forward half of the vee berth, I'm well aware of how weight forward effects the trim of this boat. 40 gallons of water drops the bow 3 or 4 inches.

We only use that forward tank as a small reserve for 5 to 10 gallons unless of for a long time. This also has had me take items out of the forepeak. I have it down to simply our primary anchor(CQR 35 on roller), 50' of 3/8" chain and 2 spinnakers, mizzen staysail, awning, anything light. She's a good light air sailer and I try to improve that quality.

There was a deck pipe for a cowl vent that I built a dorade box for so I could leave it on permenantly(we are coastal sailing at this point in our lives). This gives fine ventilation for drying the rode and locker. I built this dorade box with a clear plexiglass screw in cover over the deck pipe inside. It admits a good amount of light as well as giving me access to the deck wash, now stowed for the winter but hung in season below.

The only other thing I use is a nylon mes curtain of sorts strong across the inside of the opening to keep mosquitoes out. One day, I hope the clean it all out and paint it.(maybe a job for my son?)

Was this the Alden/Molich detail to leave the large opening? What was there intention for use? We're some fit with doors, etc?

Feb 1, 2006
Seems to me I remember that Alarm and Essay (Gypsea) had up-swinging doors, like our LeComte NE 38.

Nope, Essay's is open. Freyja's is open. Tarna looks like she has an aftermarket door.