Challenger fireplace modification.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Our fireplace came with a wood top! This nearly started to burn on a few occasions. It looked like it came that way. It wasn't used much in the past.

I removed the top and had a SS one made with vent holes. I also added ventilation down low(in back) to keep air moving around it. It still gets very hot if used for a few hours. I intend to cut another grate on the settee side replacing the wood. This should make it even more efficient allowing more air to move from below and out.

It's alittle tricky and more work, but here on the coast of Maine, we use it quite a bit. As boat heaters go, it is fast and throws ton of heat.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeofej4/site ... eplace.jpg

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Whit, I think it's a heavy piece of cast iron nicely wrapped

with that interesting tin layer. It looks like a hammered metal finish. The same tin smith must have made the ash drawer as well. I'm always careful dumping that overboard for fear I might drop it! It's all original I'm sure, they lavished alot of craftsmenship on these boats.

Jun 28, 2004
Tom,

Our fireplace also vents into the head, where it helps dry towels and makes it nice and toasty in there on a cold fall day.

Rick

A

Anonymous

We have the same/similar fireplace on Quetzal, our 1970 LeComte North East 38. Interesting to note that by 8 years later, LeComte was making the enclosure in all stainless steel, and vented all around as you describe. It has the same little ash drawer, and a cast iron grate. Art Karpf was the dealer for LeComte boats in New Rochelle, NY, and is still in business servicing and reselling 'em; he told us that the fireplaces were prone to overheating the concealed woodwork, particularly if one were to burn coal. He also warned against starter fluid. We have tried both charcoal and hardwood but have not yet learned a fast way to start. It takes some doing to get a draft in the small stack and with that small firebox! But once going, it's quite cosy.

Doug

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Hi Doug, I would love to see a photo of how LeComte

improved the fireplace. I will be addressing mine this spring. There is no doubt they can start the cabinetry on fire. I may add a fan as well inside below and behind the firebox.

The trick I have found is having plenty of small very dry hardwood scraps for kindling a fire. I agree, they can be tricky to start. The old fashioned tee pee of small sticks with plenty of air, followed by more small sticks until a good blaze is going, seems to be the only way. Without a good kindling fire, it goes out.

Do you have any idea how many Challengers LeComte finished?

A

Anonymous

Hot times!

We tried the fireplace again Saturday night. I had a successful and painless start with a sheet of newsprint and a teepee of 150 year old wood plaster lath. I added scraps of very dry locust and worked up to chunks of the same, as large as 9-12 cu in. I was careful to not add much at a time so flames were never very enthusiastic, never reaching much higher than the top of the opening and only whispy then.

Even so, after three hours, the surrounding casework became too hot to touch and the paint in the locker just forward was beginning to bubble! I had been checking temperatures but had become complacent after a couple hours. I would never have noticed if I had not reached for some booze out of the locker outboard of the fireplace.

I believe we were lucky to not have lost the boat.

Since I am only a lowly architect and not a fireplace engineer, I doubt we'll be using the thing again and I am chary to redesign the insulative surround. I speculate that insulation placed against the outer enclosure of the unit coupled with forced draft around the outside of the firebox would be very helpful.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Don't give up on the fireplace Doug.

I'm improving mine for the same reason, they are very hot. I plan to add alittle insulation likely in the form of the gyprock material used for tile backing. Also I plan to increase ventilation for cooling and heat output. We can make these safer, their use is wonderful when you need them.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
A simple improvement tested.

I added a piece of 8" stove pipe around the cast iron firebox. It's alittle tight on the corners so I needed to snip it down the length to fit it in. The galvanized piping added another airspace in effect. After hours of use several times this fall, I noticed a reduction in heat to the cabinetry.

The pipe is lifted off the base to allow air to flow up the stove pipe(inside and out) and out the top holes in this cover.

It's a good improvement and tells me I'm on the right track. I'm looking for a quiet fan(probably a larger computer fan) to incorporate in the base that will move more air through for improved cabin heating and cooling of the firebox. Also, a SS grill to replace the upper left side wood, the hottest area.

The heater has been a real delight this year with less worry. This photo shows the plate door removed just for the "shot". It needs to be in place or back drafts will happen.