Chainplate Strut Adjustment

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Steve Moss

Does anyone know how the chainplate strut attaches into the hull stringers of the 37.5 (1995)? I see the strut end is threaded and there is a wider collar around the strut with hexagonal end, but it is not obvious what adjustment can be made. From the factory, a teak trim piece was glued over the collar, but this has now lifted about 1/4 inch. When heeling I get a 1/8 gap between the galley locker bulkhead and the headliner. Questions: Is this motion normal? Can the chainplate strut be adjusted? Is there a more serious problem here?

R

Rich

Gap between Locker and Headliner

Steve, I've sailed the 37.5 but I don't remember the strut configuration exactly. As to the gap between the locker and headliner I was getting the same thing on my 376 with the forward bulkhead in my head. I contacted the factory and here's how they told me to deal with it. Tie down the traveller (on my boat directly above the bulkhead in question). Using the halyard attached to the back of the boom I was able to winch up on the deck and re-create the gap. Clean out the caulking and any epoxy in the groove. Inject epoxy and fill the space entirely. Release the tension on the halyard. Replace the caulk. So far I've done the epoxy job and haven't re-caulked since I'm waiting for the epoxy to cure. I'm thinking I'll sail it and see how it worked out before doing the caulking. My impression from the factory was that this is mainly a cosmetic issue and that the flex in the deck is pretty normal. I guess the epoxy is supposed to cut down the deck flexing at that particular point by bonding it to the bulkhead. I guess if you think about it the bulkheads are more designed to keep the deck up not hold it down. Now let's just hope the deck flex doesn't pull my bulkhead up from the bottom. You may want to contact the factory directly to see if they recommend a similar fix for you. I'd be interested to hear the result.

Status
Not open for further replies.