Chainplate issue on S2 9.2A

Jul 18, 2019
S2 Yachts S2 9.2A San Francisco
When shroud is tensioned (loaded) during rig tuning, issue of deck heaving (tenting) at point where shroud enters the deck has arisen. Suspect water penetration in chain plate anchorage points. Anyone who may have encountered this on his/her S2 9.2 please let me know. Also, of any corrective action either considered or implemented. Thanks.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I don’t know anything about your boat, but the chainplate generally is not held just by the cabin top. You need to investigate where the chainplate transfer the load to something more substantial and see what is going on.

On my boat for example, the shrouds carry the load to the deck, but the chainplate under the deck transfer the load to a fiberglass stringer via a threaded rod. The phot doesn’t show a lot, but this is the access port in my liner where I can access the bottom of the threaded rod.

AF62B25E-7630-436E-9F88-7257A1D77D72.jpeg

On many boats, the chainplate is bolted to a Bulkhead,and transfers the load that way.

I would investigate further!

Greg

Jul 18, 2019
Thanks Greg. Chainplates are bolted to short bulkhead at right angle to hull. These are built into the hull for that purpose. Attachment shows this on the nearest of the 2 chainplates. 2nd one is same arrangement, but short bulkhead is obscured by wall between cabin and head.

Attachments

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Welcome Jon to the forum.

The bulk head attachment should be secured, often tabbed, with fiberglass to the hull. The load of the chain plate needs to be transferred to the hull. If you are seeing deformation on the deck then the load is not adequately being transferred to the hull.
I would encourage further inspection of the bulkhead.

It is possible that the bulkhead tabbing has come loose with hard use of the boat.

The deck and deck joint are not strong enough alone to secure the loads placed by the mast through the stay and chain plate.

Jul 18, 2019
Your point is well taken. Will be going in to inspect one, possibly two, of the bulkhead tabbings (thanks for the good good descriptive term) which are the easiest to access. Will be looking for water penetration and, as you suggest, separation off the bulkhead tabbing from the hull. Stay tuned.

Oct 22, 2014
I will. While at it inspect the area of the chain plate attachment to the bulkhead. I did not see and weakness in the bulkhead under the chain plate in the images. Just be sure the chain plates have not elongated the holes.

Good luck.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
I had posted this in the brand info section, but that seems to be MIA. My boat had damage to the port chainplate that the previous owner fixed following a method written up by my Surveyor, who worked for a boat builder (Cape Dory or Pearson?). It is lucky that the main, middle bulkhead, has a sacrificial panel or it would be a lot more work. The photos should be pretty self explanatory. The half panel was removed, the rot was cut back, cleaned and sealed with epoxy. I piece was sistered in and then the outer partial panel was replaced and ta tabbed back into place.
Port Bulkhead after removal of sistered panel.jpg

Attachments

Oct 22, 2014
Thanks for the clarity. Certainly looks to be a positive repair.
Hope the tabbing is solid. It does look like a leak occurred down the chain plate that appears to have caused the previous damage.
Just for grins, what does the deck look like around the chain plates. Since your in working on the problem might just fix any other contributing issues. My chain plates leaked once. I repaired the damage and resealed the area using butyl tape. No reoccurring leaks.

Apr 18, 2019
S2 9.2A Erie PA
I had the forward port side lower Shroud bulkhead with significant rot. All others in fine shape. I cut out the aft tab and removed all the plywood leaving the forward tab in place. Used that renaming tab and glass to make a pattern for new plywood. Used 2 layers of 3/4 inch plywood. Glassed and sealed the new plywood and tabbed it in using thickened epoxy to bond it back to the remaining tab. Not a difficult job.

Last edited: