Chain plates Hunter 49

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Wow.
Thanks for the images. One never knows till the hidden is exposed.

Your rub rail will need a termination where cut. If not fixed in place it will move due to heat/cooling expansion and contraction.
It appears as though they welded the top piece at an angle to the bottom instead of bending it in a press brake. They must have had their reasons for this.
I wouid expect that the part was counterbored for the studs, and then filled with weld. Don’t think they went all the way through, as you’d see it from outside.
Think you were right in pulling this part for replacement

Feb 15, 2008
Hunter 49 Sydney
It's with a stainless steel company now and he asked me today what grade SS it is, whether it was stressed, harden or anything. I assume not and that its straight 316. He also asked if it was mirror coated or finished. He is suggesting the cracks we are seeing could be in a mirror coating, it similar to chrome platting rather than in the stainless. Anyway more will be revealed when he starts to grind into it.

• Helpful
Dec 4, 2023
Hunter 44 Portsmouth
This is a great thread. Thanks for posting it. I've been wondering for a while how to replace those chain outer chain plates with the rub rail going over them. I ran across a blog post, at one point, describing taking off the entire rub rail and remounting it to fix damage to the hull-deck joint. The writer hired a yard to do the work, stating that it was a difficult job.

To my eye, the overall construction of that chainplate is very robust. The corrosion is worrisome though. You're doing the right thing by removing it. The way that crack formed is strange. I'm wondering if there was a casting defect in it since birth.