Chain Plates as Mileage Indicators

May 8, 2018
Allied 42xl Galveston
I began re bedding deck penetration and I micrometer measured the chain plate holes and found no wear or elongation and deduce that there is little mileage on my new boat. However, I was in day dream mode and this conclusions supported my brains narrative of my new perfect sea worthy vessel completing a round the world race. There may be better indicators or litmus test of usage like an hour meter on the engine, but I do not have one. No small stress cracks anywhere either......I dont know, for an aethiest I'm beginning to think God wants me to have this boat.

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
No small stress cracks anywhere either......I dont know, for an aethiest I'm beginning to think God wants me to have this boat.
Which one!

A nd maybe you lucked into a fine boat.
T exoma the whole time?
H ope the refrigeration works out from the other post.
E xceptional value in an old S2.
I really like mine.
S ome other ways to measure wear and tear, like soft decks and loose fittings.
T ime will tell as I'm sure you will find issues as life goes on, and you won't know when it ends.

Our boat is 1.2 meters shorter than yours LOA, (LOL) and 43 years old (Gregorian calendar) and no elongation in the chainplate holes. The S2 was way ahead of it's time, at least in this country, for strength and the use of a Thomas Jefferson idea in measurements. At least you paid for it in a decimal currency. This site needs a head stuck in the sand emoji.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
A nd maybe you lucked into a fine boat.
T exoma the whole time?
H ope the refrigeration works out from the other post.
E xceptional value in an old S2.
I really like mine.
S ome other ways to measure wear and tear, like soft decks and loose fittings.
T ime will tell as I'm sure you will find issues as life goes on, and you won't know when it ends.
:beer:

May 8, 2018
Allied 42xl Galveston
I'm enjoying my S2......I sail about, save money and think about pulling the trigger on refits. Contemplate the whole ..Go Small, Go Big.....Go Now thing with an S2

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Leon Slickers was one of the first fiberglass boat builders. He sold Slickcraft to AMF and had a non-compete for the power boat market that led him to built S2 sailboat. When the non-compete ended he started Tiara. It certainly shows in the fiberglass work on the S2's.