Chain Plate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 4, 2004
- - Atlanta-Lake Lanier
On the C310 the chain plate for the main lowers does not lift up high enough to get under to clean and re-caulk. Without going below and unbolting the whole thing from the bulkhead, has anyone come up with a way to do this? The throat around the base is to small because the shroud base widens as it goes up from the deck.

thanks
John

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
Dig the caulk out around the center the best you can and bead around the inside and outside perimeter. Mine can up, but it was tight.

goblin

Sep 4, 2006
Catalina 310 Pottsboro Tx
Dig the caulk out around the center the best you can and bead around the inside and outside perimeter. Mine can up, but it was tight.

I did my starboard one last week. Unscrewed the cover plate, lifted one end & scraped out the old caulk with a sharpened putty knife & a wallpaper knife, the the other end. I then put about 3" of masking tape on the deck outlining the plate, applied a little too much caulk at each end then screwed the plate back down, wiped up the resiue & removed the tape. It took about 20 minutes.

May 3, 2008
Catalina 310 Catawba Island
I "recaulked" both in August of 2008 with no leaks through the 2009 season. I followed the basic procedure above. A little messy and I am too lazy (like to sail more than scrape) to really do a first class clean-up job. But it worked!

Status
Not open for further replies.