Chain plate repairs

Mar 20, 2011
Hunter 31_83-87 New Orleans
hi all. I need input on how to perform a chain repair on a mid eighties Hunter. Looking for info from anyone who has completed a chain replacement on a mid eighties Hunter, in particular a 31 or 34. There was a posting some time back from from an individual in the Caribbean who completed a repair on a 34 but was hoping for other recent input. Any/all suggestions and recommendations welcome. Thanks in. Advance, Jerry

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
You stated "Chain Plate repairs" What do you need to know about the chain plates? What is the problem you are experiencing?
Any images of the problem?

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
If you have ANY doubt about the state of your chainplates, replace them. Stainless seems to corrode from the inside out so you can't always tell the condition immediately. A good machine shop can replicate them for you. I've had two failures and all are replaced.

Mar 20, 2011
Hunter 31_83-87 New Orleans
Roland - completely agree with you. port side chain plate tie rod broke (SS). once I get a handle on repairs and what to do, I will also replace starboard side. can you tell me how you repaired yours? attached is the chain plate design for the mid eighties Hunters. are your chain plates similar to this?

Attachments

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
My chainplates are completely different. They are flat bar stock about 1/4 inch thick. They bolt onto knees glassed into the inside of the hull. Remove four bolts and pull the cp out. Hunter must have changed the design after the run of the Cherubinis.

gmohr

Apr 2, 2004
Hunter 34 Trenton, SC
I actually had the starboard side chain plate rod break at the angle iron glassed into the hull. After consulting a couple of engineers I designed a "Thimble" that was threaded with the same type of threads and then drilled a hole to allow the 3/4"thimble shaft to com up through the angle iron and then thread on to the rod. This has been in place for almost 20yrs
now. Gets inspected 4 times a year and it is as solid as the day I installed it.