Chain plate installation ideas?

Aug 31, 2017
Catalina Catalina 22 Tampa
Since I've redecked my boat I need to cut new holes for the chain plates. Any ideas on how to go about this? Thanks folks!

Aug 31, 2017
Drill a hole where each end of the slot will be, and connect them using the multi tool?
Yeah that was what I was thinking Gene. I'm just worried about getting the angle right required for the new style chain plate to sit flush on the deck.

Feb 21, 2019
Catalina 22 Madison In.
Yeah that was what I was thinking Gene. I'm just worried about getting the angle right required for the new style chain plate to sit flush on the deck.
I always like the drill twice and connect and prefer grinding to any form of sawing or chopping on FG. Post a couple pics of the new deck area and the new chain plate design mentioned.

mm2347

Oct 21, 2008
oday 222 niagara
If your deck is cored, drill holes and cut slots slightly oversized. Remove surrounding core. Wax and PVA chain plates and top deck. Tape the deck area and then wax the tape. Tape the underside of the deck. Fill the void w/

mm2347

Oct 21, 2008
oday 222 niagara
Sorry! Then fill the void w/ resin thickened w/ milled fiber and cabsil. Carefully insert chainplate to proper angles and reseal bottom to keep thicken resin from leaking. When resin gets to a solid but not total gell stage carefully pull chainplate. Peel off the tape and carefully clean the partially gelled resin from the deck. When resin has properly cured, countersink the holes and top slot edges. Using butal sealent (best is from Mainsaill) install chain plates. Do not seal the underside. The deck under the chainplates are now solid and no core can be exposed. If necessary, adjustments to angles, hole or slot size can be done easily.

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
Drill a hole where each end of the slot will be, and connect them using the multi tool?
A few tight together passes with a saber saw might work in a pinch too. Sealing the core & new slot up with epoxy is great advice.

Aug 31, 2017
Bedding isn't what my concern is. It's cutting the deck and it being at the right angle that I'm most worried about.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
A man of your skills doesn't need to "worry"! Have at it, man!! :beer:

(it's very easy to say that when it's not my boat)