Chain Hooks

ToddS

Sep 11, 2017
Beneteau 373 Cape Cod
I certainly defer to you, and even more-so to practical sailor's research... real world testing trumps any wacky theories I come up with, and I completely understand that. There are two simple reasons it surprises me (though, again, I admit I'm clearly misunderstanding something since the real-world test has proven me wrong). Firstly, I (incorrectly) feel like the only link of the chain that is exposed to the "blade" part of those hooks is the one that can pass freely through the hook, and is not obstructed by it in any way... which in my brain puts the chain-vs-hook load on the "next" link of the chain, which can't touch the "blade" based on it's being turned 90 degrees and pressing on the side of the hook. I'm clearly wrong though. Additionally I'm surprised that it would create any more point loading than the link-to-link strain of every link in the chain pulling on the next link. In my head, the contact area of a chain link touching another chain link is pretty close to being a single point. and the contact area of a link touching the hook is at the very least two points, and possibly bigger. I'm not arguing that I'm right and the test is wrong... just the opposite... I'm clearly wrong, and working through how to fix my faulty logic. Anyhow... good information to know... and largely irrelevant to me anyway since I use a short length of chain on the end of a nylon rode anyway, and don't need a hook for anything under strain at all... so I'm good.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I certainly defer to you, and even more-so to practical sailor's research... real world testing trumps any wacky theories I come up with, and I completely understand that. There are two simple reasons it surprises me (though, again, I admit I'm clearly misunderstanding something since the real-world test has proven me wrong). Firstly, I (incorrectly) feel like the only link of the chain that is exposed to the "blade" part of those hooks is the one that can pass freely through the hook, and is not obstructed by it in any way... which in my brain puts the chain-vs-hook load on the "next" link of the chain, which can't touch the "blade" based on it's being turned 90 degrees and pressing on the side of the hook. I'm clearly wrong though. Additionally I'm surprised that it would create any more point loading than the link-to-link strain of every link in the chain pulling on the next link. In my head, the contact area of a chain link touching another chain link is pretty close to being a single point. and the contact area of a link touching the hook is at the very least two points, and possibly bigger. I'm not arguing that I'm right and the test is wrong... just the opposite... I'm clearly wrong, and working through how to fix my faulty logic. Anyhow... good information to know... and largely irrelevant to me anyway since I use a short length of chain on the end of a nylon rode anyway, and don't need a hook for anything under strain at all... so I'm good.
The diameter of the links are larger than the blade of the hook. Think of it this way. If you want to tear a piece of paper in a relatively straight line, the paper is held against a sharp edge, it tears neatly. But if you use a large dowel or rounded edge, the paper won't tear neatly.

Another way to look at it is the surface area of the contact, the larger the surface area, the lower the pounds per square inch. A 10 lbs weight placed on a hand, doesn't hurt, concentrate that 10 lbs on to an area the size of a nail and it hurts.

When an anchor chain shock loads all of the pressure from the chain hook is on a very small area, this can cause the link to fail. Attachment methods that spread the load, (better designed hooks, rolling hitches, etc,) distribute the load over a large surface area, reducing the stress on the link.

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
Wow, there is a reason why this site is so popular. It's an education every time a question is asked. Thank you everyone!

I like the idea of a soft shackle but was curious how you'd deploy it? I was on Animated knots and it might be beyond my fine motor skills to make one. I saw this at West Marine
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west...shackle-xl--12501938?mrkgcl=481&mrkgadid=3280

upload_2018-3-29_13-11-19.jpeg

It has a breaking strength of 10,000 lbs but how would you attach it to chain and nylon snubber?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@Bob S when you get the soft shackle in your hand you will find that the loop slides inside of the line. you open the loop and remove the knot from the loop. Then slide the loop through your chain, reinsert the knot through the loop. Tighten the loop so the knot is captured and you are connected. Better than AT&T or Verizon.

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
SBO also sell soft shackles on this website. I have used various sizes of Marlow Ropes SK78 soft shackles for applications. Not as an anchor chain hook but that is soon to be changed. Marlow dyneema SK78 (a little less creep than the SK75) soft shackles are sold in pairs. You guys below the 48th can make out like bandits here:
https://www.thechandleryonline.com/...4hhfhtqe6qb200d8n7ljn7&search.x=16&search.y=7

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I like the idea of a soft shackle
Until you undo it.:yikes:

Get out your knife in an emergency!
Jim...

PS: The anchor duty officer on our boat, say No Way! She even has a marlin spike for knots.
[the Admiral wins!]