Cetol tips

Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
I have used the Cetol varnish product for 25 years or so. Lasts 3 seasons maybe, then it chips and I have to sand and re-coat. The can I have is very old (15+ years I guess) with little remaining so I am going to buy a fresh one. Looking at the directions, I am pretty sure I did everything right except maybe I did apply in the sun. I mean, jeez, I don't have a boat house I can pull into. So how big a deal is this and might this be cutting my longevity, causing the chipping?

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
If you are referring to Cetol, I think it's crucial to apply and let it dry out of the sun. It's been a few years since I lived in New England but I recall there are some cloudy days there.

Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
If you are referring to Cetol, I think it's crucial to apply and let it dry out of the sun. It's been a few years since I lived in New England but I recall there are some cloudy days there.
My bad on the name. Cetol is correct. Cloudy days plenty, especially this year, but the trick is to get one where it will not rain for 24 hours thereafter. No small feat.........

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
My bad on the name. Cetol is correct. Cloudy days plenty, especially this year, but the trick is to get one where it will not rain for 24 hours thereafter. No small feat.........
We used to live there which has been the only place where you cannot trust even a short-term weather forecast so I understand. Unfortunately, the solvent carrier in Cetol will flash off too quickly in the sun so timing is everything.
My tactic was to apply it late p.m. so it can dry overnight but that too has its. Drawback as it can get humid at night.

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
Three years out of Cetol, and you have a problem? What do you expect? I only have to do my hatchboards (so easy to do in the winter in the basement) but I lightly sand and re-varnish annually. Celebrate the time between coats and go buy another can. The stuff is a great protectant, and easier to use than true varnish.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
I used Cetol on my boats. The key to a result that looks as good as varnish, though won't have as high gloss, is prep and a annual maintenance. If you don't have place out of the sun, apply it late in the afternoon on a day when humidity is low.
The first application is the only one that's heavily labor intensive...'cuz prepping for it needs to be the same as prepping for varnish: CLEAN wood that's sanded as smooth as a baby's cheek. Never use a wire brush on teak, btw.
The first application should be 3 coats spaced according to directions. LIGHTLY "sand" after each coat is dry using fine bronze wool to remove any dust or whatever may have attached itself. After the 3rd coat, you can apply a clear gloss coat if you want it shiny...I always preferred the low gloss.
Every spring afterward, lightly "sand"--again using fine bronze wool--to remove scuff marks, scratches etc and apply at least one more coat. If you need a second coat, lightly "sand" the first one with fine bronze wool before applying.
If you do it this way, you'll never have to strip start over again...one or two new coats every spring will keep it looking like the first year. Ok "never" is a long time, but I can tell you that it was still gorgeous after 8 years when I sold the boat.
--Peggie

Jun 24, 2014
Westsail 28 72 Long Beach , California
Cetol , I love it . Yes for sure the Sun is not your friend , unless you like painting with peanut butter . Start on a dry morning and try to finish before it get's hot , that leaves the rest of the day to dry so even if it gets wet that night most times it will be OK . The HeadMistress is right if you sand in between coats , it's awesome . However one day I read the can , It said don't sand in between coats . That was all I needed . My jobs don't look as good as the sanding in between coats but no one seems to notice .
010 by mark westi, on Flickr

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
They don't want you to use sandpaper, with good reason....which is why I put "sand" with fine bronze wool in quotes. "Buff" might have been a better choice of words.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Last cetol application was 4 1/2 years ago. Needs to be lightly sanded and recoated now. Excellent results & longevity. Last time I sanded to bare wood (boat was new to me). Two coats natural & two coats clear gloss with ultra light sanding between coats. Nice translucent appearance that allows natural wood grain to show. Much nicer than the old formulation that looked like paint. Very pleased with this product!
Just received West 4th of July sale flyer, 25% off all cetol products.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Forget the sandpaper..I use white scotchbrite. First coat of season is also with white scotchbrite with some soap and good rinse.

Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
Thanks, all. I need to start by not applying in hot sun. I think that is where I blew it and i won't do that again. Late or very early day, sun low in sky, no rain expected for 24 sounds like it would work. Much obliged!!!!