Ceramic coatings

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Anybody have any experience with the ceramic coatings being advertised? Replacement for wax?

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Yes.....had it applied on my truck and fifth wheel trailer a year ago and it was relatively expensive. Ceramic coatings are not permanent. Ceramic coatings, developed for the marine environment, reportedly last 18-24 months before re-application. You might get price quotes for wax and ceramic coating with an estimate on how long it will last in your marine environment. I plan to do that for my sailboat in the San Francisco Bay.

If you do an internet search on "ceramic coating sailboats" you will find lots of additional information.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I've wondered about this new tech too. Would you use it on the hull, the deck, or both?
I'm still using Collinite wax

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
I wonder if it would cause any issues if repainting?
I won't let it near my cars much less my boats. When I was a young man and working as an insurance adjuster, silicone coatings had just come out. Painters had a nightmare removing the coatings for painting and many cars had paint failures. Not saying this is similar, but I will stick with carnauba.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
We saw a guy at the Canadian Boat Show (2019) promoting the material.

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
I won't let it near my cars much less my boats. When I was a young man and working as an insurance adjuster, silicone coatings had just come out. Painters had a nightmare removing the coatings for painting and many cars had paint failures. Not saying this is similar, but I will stick with carnauba.
It’s nothing like silicone. It’s been used on cars for over a decade. It doesn’t cause problems for repainting.

I used ceramic coating on my 29 year old trimaran, after careful wet sanding and professional buffing. It looked gorgeous for two years of year round exposure to the California sun, without any special care other than an occasional rinse.

The horizontal surfaces did need to be Re coated after three years, but they still look pretty good, albeit with a little haze. I didn’t use it on the nonskid areas. After 4 years, It’s still very easy to keep it clean and it’s not chalky.

On the non skid I use west marine’s no skid cleaner followed by a coat of Woody Wax.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
It’s nothing like silicone. It’s been used on cars for over a decade. It doesn’t cause problems for repainting.

I used ceramic coating on my 29 year old trimaran, after careful wet sanding and professional buffing. It looked gorgeous for two years of year round exposure to the California sun, without any special care other than an occasional rinse.

The horizontal surfaces did need to be Re coated after three years, but they still look pretty good, albeit with a little haze. I didn’t use it on the nonskid areas. After 4 years, It’s still very easy to keep it clean and it’s not chalky.

On the non skid I use west marine’s no skid cleaner followed by a coat of Woody Wax.
I trust you, Judy B. I really, really trust you. And, at my age, a decade is just a blink. Notwithstanding all that, I'll stick with carnauba. :biggrin: