Centerboards that stick

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mike Stern

Has anyone had a problem with their O'Day 23 centerboard sticking in the fully closed (up) position? I recently purchased a "79 O'Day 23 and I painted the centerboard about two hours before launch. Of course, the centerboard was retracted for the launch, and the boat sat in the water for two days until I sailed her to her new homeport. I could not get the centerboard to drop for the whole trip. I assumed the board stuck because of some slightly wet paint drying and holding the board up; either that or I had failed to clear the board of all marine growth before launching. In any case, I had the boat hauled and the centerboard fixed upon arrival at our new homeport. When I took her out the next week, the board was down, and I was happy (she sails much better with the board down). We retracted the board when entering our marina. But just to be sure that the board didn't stick again, I went to drop it down just a little while docked. Of course, the board was again stuck. Has anyone else had this problem? What did you do?

B

barry

stuck centerboards

I had the same problem on my 25 ft O'Day Now I carry a 4 ft rod which I push(GENTLEY)through the slot for the centerboard control line.

D

Don Evans

Lots of Reasons

This is a pretty common problem on boats with CB's. Especially on our OD's where the tolerances in the trunk is so small. I also have had the problem when I replaced the clip that holds the pennent to the board with a SS bolt that was to long for the width of the slot. One common problem I have observed with other's CB's is the old water saturation problem. The CB is no different than your rudder. Swelling due to absorbtion within the board will eventually reduce the tolerances even further. Removal of the CB and repair or replacement is the fix their.What "fix" did you have done on the board? You mentioned marine growth also. The growth could be in the slot, not the board. I could see a single barnacle binding the board, tolerances are that close. Try and get some bottom paint up into the slot with a long handled pad type brush next time the boats out. It sounds like the problem is at the top end of the trunk when the trailing edge of the board gets up high in the slot. Obviously you are going to have to leave the board down part way. Hopefully your mooring is deep enough. Mark on the pennent the highest point you can saafely raise the CB. Best of luck. Don

C

chris breen

oday centreboard sticking

we also bought a 79 oday 23 ft recently. you are lucky to have one. we hauled her out and when we finally got the barnacles off we had enough for a clambake. from what i have read on different sites, reasons run from board swelling to barnacle trouble. if you didnt check the housing before you painted it when down, that should be on your to-do-list next time you haul her out. it's suprising how far that stuff can get up there. i have also heard from people that have "shaved" their boards, but since they are fibreglass i'm not sure how they did that. we are currently having one made thru d&r marine in massachusetts at a cost of about $600 with tax and shipping. they can be reached at 508.644.3001 contact rudy dickerson. from what i understand he has the only mold in the world for these centreboards. keep in touch if you have an oday 23 foot 1979, we have no specs or manual but would like to share with anyone who has them.

S

Stu Timm

Raise it S L O W L Y !!!

I have a 22 centerboard model that had a frozen centerboard when I bought her recently. After scraping a pile of barnacles out of the trunk and off the blade, teh yard used a power air painter to spray the trunk with paint, and it's working fine now. I raise it very slowly making sure not to jam it into the trunk housing accidentally. I also feel the pennant for any scraping or sound that would indicate that the centerboard is getting tight in the trunk. Go slow is the name of the game. PS: My centerboard wobbles a tad on reaching legs, slight bumping sound really, should I be concerned?

T

Tom Horner

Centerboard for the O'Day 23

I have an O'Day 23 Model Year 1978. The centerboard sticks and I have to be careful that I raise and lower it slowly so it swivels freely on the pin that attaches it to the fixed keel. I replaced the cable which seemed to help. I also sanded the board a quarter inch or so. The board is not sticking quite as much, however the sticking problem is probably due to the board swelling with time in the water. If I raise the board to a stopping point 1 to 2 inches less than all the way up, sticking does not occur.

Status
Not open for further replies.