Centerboard repair

scbody

Aug 11, 2014
Hunter 15 Brewstah
Hi

I have a 2011 H15 that I use for a couple of weeks a year. The centerboard dropped through the bottom of the case while sailing the other day. No identifiable event to cause it. Pics of damage attached.
Is this repairable? How? And by who? Me?

Regards
Simon

Attachments

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
This is the centreboard drawing from the user manual. Looks like the pivot pin and notched area are torn off. I’m not familiar with the H15 so not sure of the construction materials or your experience working with FRP etc so hard to comment of how repairable it is.

Have you priced a replacement unit from the SBO store?

E676EE88-2906-464C-A8EB-6FDA49E55EB9.jpeg

scbody

Aug 11, 2014
Hunter 15 Brewstah
Thank you for the pic and advice. The price shipped is about $800.
The interior of the board looks like a hard foam material with a wrap of chopped glass and gelcoat. My current plan is a lag screw into the board then a glass epoxy mix around the screw to recreate the structure. An off season job I think.
Thank you

Apr 16, 2017
Federation NCC-1701 Riverside
If I may make a suggestion for study...
If repairing on your own, look into picking up a 12" x 12" square of 1/4" G10 backer board. Trace the replacement shape and copy it 3-4 times, then, using Epoxy with high density filler, build up a solid G10 stack.

Have the G10 "protuberance" go about 2 inches into the foam, but have only Fiberglass and filler touching the G10 stack. Grind off the existing Fiberglass to the 10:1 bevel, then reglass it all..fare...gelcoat.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Thank you for the pic and advice. The price shipped is about $800.
The interior of the board looks like a hard foam material with a wrap of chopped glass and gelcoat. My current plan is a lag screw into the board then a glass epoxy mix around the screw to recreate the structure. An off season job I think.
Thank you
I would give @bobbyfun advice some thought as he’s kind of a wizard when it comes to fixing things!

I’ve been thinking about how torn up it is and wondering if there is any damage in the hull trunk area. For example is the pivot pin still there? Maybe most of the damage happened when it was slopping around in the trunk. Seems odd to me that there was that much damage with no obvious cause like grounding etc.

Apr 16, 2017
Appreciate the complement! I tried to sketch out a remediation plan during lunch, but it was starting to look like i was trying to figure out how many di.. pics i could fit on a square.

I too would like to sit around the campfire and hear the tale of the snapped centerboard. How did this happen? The breaking force is in the down position

scbody

Aug 11, 2014
Hunter 15 Brewstah
Dear BobbyFunn

Thank you for the very specific advice. Very much appreciated.

I don't know how it happened. No hits that I am aware of. Looking at the board, the foam is very square at the break. You can see it in the pics. I wonder if the construction of that part was made from small individual pieces rather than one solid piece and it created an area of weakness.

Many thanks

Apr 16, 2017
its a weak area for sure. where the screw enters the main section is just foam and is a water entry point, allowing water in between the foam and laminate

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Not to be a persistent pessimist but did you have a good look inside the centreboard trunk to see if there is any damage?

If I understand the diagram for the board the “hook” shape of the board fits over a horizontally oriented “rod” in the slot of the boat. The screw gets tightened and keeps the board from popping off the rod or pin.

If that thickness of board got sheared off I’m thinking there was a lot of torque involved when the board failed. Just sayin.

scbody

Aug 11, 2014
Hunter 15 Brewstah
The stainless steel rod and flanges are intact. Nothing out of sorts as best I can tell. When I get it on its side I'll take a closer look there.
Thank you

Apr 16, 2017
Thanks for the screen print @Hunter216. I was able to lift the centerboard off the page. It was raining all day.
Centerboard.png

I'm not sure what the "G10" Iceberg should look like, but the goal is to get a bunch of replacement touching the existing FRP.

If I rotate the model so that the centerboard is in the active orientation then its easy to see the shear right above the centerboard pin. Having the solid G10 go perpendicular to the centerboard might be stronger and get more FRP grip away from the edge.
CenterboardII.PNG

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
A failed previous repair?
Interesting theory as it would sort of explain why this failure occurred for no obvious reason and @scbody did point out the foam looked different. I zoomed the photo and highlighted what looks like two different colours of foam. The pink stuff looks like the boards you insulate basement walls with which is very easy to snap off.

AAE3A618-127D-4126-8D9F-506CCE949B52.jpeg

Apr 16, 2017
When i sealed my centerboard for the 170 it also had a dark grey foam in that area.