Centerboard removal issue

Aug 26, 2019
Hunter 260 Eau Claire
Help!!! I have a 99 260 lifted on a sling, I want to replace the lifting line. The bolt that holds the bracket has been removed.
We have tried to drop the bracket down but no amount of moving, twisting, pulling, kicking seems to work to get it to drop.
There is some 5200 around the edges of the plate and I’ve ordered some solvent (Debond) to remove the 5200. My question is I assume the previous owner put the 5200 or (4200 hopefully) there to seal leaks. Do you think it may be holding up the bracket too?The plate should be independent from the bracket right?

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Yikes! This might be a question for @Crazy Dave Condon

Wish I could be more helpful. Dave helped me replace my lift line and I did a write up. It does not address your concern but it has a lot of pictures of the bracket. Maybe one of the photos will give you some clues (see attached).

Attachments

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Before I say anything, I want to see how the boat has been lifted by what. Also I want to see if the straps are tied together so the straps cannot come loose allowing the boat to fall. It is called safety

Then I will discuss

• Ha
Aug 26, 2019
Hunter 260 Eau Claire
Thanks for responding. The boat is at a boatyard. The lift they use is a standard lift. The yard used to be a Hunter dealer so they are familiar with Hunters. We will be spraying Debond on the plate to remove a considerable amount 3M5200 or 4200 used to prevent leaks which a previous owner applied. They did say they noticed rust on the bracket. Could that be an issue? Could it be rusted on top of the bracket where it butts up against trunk cavity and fused to it ? I assume the bracket is aluminum. We will try again in 3 days when the lift is available. If it is rusted to the boat I suppose continued moving and pulling would eventually dislodge it. I’m just posted this wondering if there was anything else that would be holding the bracket that I wasn’t aware of. We pounded from the top with a rubber mallet too. Can the top plate be removed and would that even help? It was probably glued down at the factory so removing it would be difficult. If the plate was indeed removed it should expose the top of the bracket I assume.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
As you look at the top plate that the bolt head rests on, do not be beat on on it
or you could break that seal. The bolt threads go thru the fiberglass hull and screws into a threaded 3/4 inch nut welded to the top of the centerboard bracket. It sounds like Hunter used too much 5200 which they used so no water could come thru that fiberglass hole. I went thru this twice and finally got them from using 5200 between the top of the centerboard bracket and the fiberglass hole. Instead I got Hunter to put a bead around the top base of the bolt head which solved a lot of headaches.

One other thing the centerboard housing may be cockeyed in the grooves of the centerboard housing causing it to be jammed. With that and the 5200 it indeed will be difficult.

Since the bolt is out , you could do two things. First, I would wiggle and pull on the centerboard. Secondly, you can take a 3/4 bolt and hand tighten it in only to the depth of the nut and pound on that.

Were you the one trying to remove it or the marina? Since they were a hunter dealer. Who is the marina and location. Can you send me your telephone number and location via forum email so we can talk more. Never disclose private info of yours on this site as you do not know who is looking, thus the forum private email.

Crazy Dave

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
As you look at the top plate that the bolt head rests on, do not be beat on on it
or you could break that seal. The bolt threads go thru the fiberglass hull and screws into a threaded 3/4 inch nut welded to the top of the centerboard bracket. It sounds like Hunter used too much 5200 which they used so no water could come thru that fiberglass hole. I went thru this twice and finally got them from using 5200 between the top of the centerboard bracket and the fiberglass hole. Instead I got Hunter to put a bead around the top base of the bolt head which solved a lot of headaches.

One other thing the centerboard housing may be cockeyed in the grooves of the centerboard housing causing it to be jammed. With that and the 5200 it indeed will be difficult.

Since the bolt is out , you could do two things. First, I would wiggle and pull on the centerboard. Secondly, you can take a 3/4 bolt and hand tighten it in only to the depth of the nut and pound on that.

Were you the one trying to remove it or the marina? Since they were a hunter dealer. Who is the marina and location. Can you send me your telephone number and location via forum email so we can talk more. Never disclose private info of yours on this site as you do not know who is looking, thus the forum private email.

Crazy Dave

Aug 26, 2019
Hunter 260 Eau Claire
The previous owner said there is an additional nut visible from the bottom holding up the bracket. Two attachment points instead on one. Maybe Hunter added this to some 260’s. That would explain why it can’t move I guess. He got that I do from a member named Dewhunter. Dewhunter if you are able can you shed some info on this?

Sep 28, 2008
Hunter 26 Ghost lake
The inside bolt is a 1 1/8 hex 1" thread located aft of the mast compression post. Under the hull in the keel box is the nut threaded onto the mast support post. It is 1 5/8 or 2 1/8 in size I think. It has been a couple of years since I had mine out. Simple enamel reducer debonds 5200 and cleans it up.

Attachments

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
5200 held the top of cb bracket fast to hull
Advised not to use it. Suggest 4200 around the bolt head only to keep water from coming in. He got his boat back and is launching tomorrow